Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dell account

So I signed up for a Dell credit card because I was going to get a new computer but then decided against getting one from Dell. I searched the forums looking to see if Dell was a CFA and people were saying that a revolving account isn't a CFA. So I just get an alert for Experian from myfico and it says under account type that is a new retail loan. Have I screwed myself? Can I close the card and get them to remove it? My Experian score only dropped 1 point and I already have a CFA on my report from a car loan with ally but I had no idea that they were a CFA. I'm really upset about this. Can I dispute it with Experian and tell them it's a credit card?

Edited to add. I looked at the Experian website and it says charge card. I think myfico wants me to have a mini heart attack. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dell account

I was going to dispute it just now and on Experian it says charge card. I guess myfico wanted to give me a mini heart attack this morning? 

Message 2 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It's just as well you didn't dispute with Experian as It probably would have been seen as frivolous.    If you have a question about how it is being reported you should first contact WebBank as they are the underwriters of the Dell Preferred Account (i.e. the "Dell Credit Card").

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I looked on Experians website and it's listed as a charge card. Do you think it's just the way myfico is looking at it? 

Message 4 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I looked on Experians website and it's listed as a charge card. Do you think it's just the way myfico is looking at it? 

If you pull your actual reports it will be listed as a revolving charge account. A charge card will report as a revolving credit card, but will be factored into scores differently depending on scoring model.

Message 5 of 12
calyx
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you pull your actual reports it will be listed as a re.volving charge account. A charge card will report as a revolving credit card, but will be factored into scores differently depending on scoring model.

^ What he says.     It's a retail account, it's not going to code quite like your nationals, but it is not a CFA.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 6 of 12
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

@Anonymous 

FYI, You can use the Dell card from the Microsoft store so you can use it to purchase Surface computers, Xboxes, Samsung tablets, etc.

So that may make it more useful to you -- especially if it is already on your report.

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So I signed up for a Dell credit card because I was going to get a new computer but then decided against getting one from Dell. I searched the forums looking to see if Dell was a CFA and people were saying that a revolving account isn't a CFA. So I just get an alert for Experian from myfico and it says under account type that is a new retail loan. Have I screwed myself? Can I close the card and get them to remove it? My Experian score only dropped 1 point and I already have a CFA on my report from a car loan with ally but I had no idea that they were a CFA. I'm really upset about this. Can I dispute it with Experian and tell them it's a credit card?

Edited to add. I looked at the Experian website and it says charge card. I think myfico wants me to have a mini heart attack. 

They do report the inquiry as an "installment loan" inquiry (not sure why), but it is a retail charge card aka revolver. This is not an installment loan and not a CFA. If you already have a CFA, then not much changes adding another, IME, as always YMMV.

When I had all 4 age off, I saw a smaller gain in points (less than half) of what my SO gained when having his only 2 age off. Ours both aged off at the same time. Profile differences, etc, but not too drastic from one another (both dirty).

Nonetheless, it is not an installment loan (SO got the same notification from CRAs when Dell reported, even though it is a revolver) and cannot be a CFA.

Technically, even credit cards, on credit reports will state "loan type" and then say "credit card" or "charge card". A lot of credit unions and such often use "loan type" in the applications, even when applying for a credit card. I believe even credit cards are considered "loans", but not "installment loans", but rather (as I mentioned, not to be redundant) "credit card" or "charge card" and secured or unsecured with revolving terms. Like even term length will be "revolving" or something like that (can't remember off the top of my head).

Like mentioned above, the Dell card can be used to purchase a variety of different brands and products, so it may have it's use now or later. I would not turn around and shut it down immediately. It does not remove it from your credit reports and was a valid account that was opened, so you cannot dispute it off just because you no longer want it on your reports. It is free to keep open and you already took the new account/inquiry hit, might as well keep it awhile.

Message 8 of 12
Rottweilerlvr
Contributor

@designated_knitter wrote:

@Anonymous 

FYI, You can use the Dell card from the Microsoft store so you can use it to purchase Surface computers, Xboxes, Samsung tablets, etc.

So that may make it more useful to you -- especially if it is already on your report.

I don't think this is accurate anymore. I haven't been able to add my account to Microsoft store.. This was around December/January when I was looking into it.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did not know that but that's awesome. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.