Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detected Address Change Alert

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Detected Address Change Alert

I received an alert about a new address at the end of March. I haven't moved and I don't recognize the address. My first thought was identity theft, but there haven't been any new accounts opened under my name. The alert doesn't indicate where it got this information, so I went through the dispute process for all three credit reporting agencies and none of their reports indicate the address. Each bureau correct reports 0 inquiries as well.

Does anyone have any idea what's happened here?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Detected Address Change Alert

How did you get the "alert", text message, email??? Sounds like it might be a scam.

Message 2 of 12
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

Try to lock all the reports if you can for now just to be safe.

Message 3 of 12
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I received an alert about a new address at the end of March. I haven't moved and I don't recognize the address. My first thought was identity theft, but there haven't been any new accounts opened under my name. The alert doesn't indicate where it got this information, so I went through the dispute process for all three credit reporting agencies and none of their reports indicate the address. Each bureau correct reports 0 inquiries as well.

Does anyone have any idea what's happened here?

@Anonymous  Hi and Welcome to myFICO forums!

Check you addresses on your credit bureau reports for accuracy.

Free credit reports are now available for everyone, every week

Big three credit reporting agencies switch from one free report per year.

https://www.housingwire.com/articles/free-credit-reports-are-now-available-for-everyone-every-week/

AnnualCreditReport.com

Maybe @AllZero  can add other links to check.

Message 4 of 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

Freeze your credit with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion

Credit BureauOnlineBy phoneBy mail
How to freeze your credit with EquifaxVisitEquifax Credit Freeze page1-800-685-1111 (NY residents call 1-800-349-9960)Equifax Security Freeze, P.O. Box 105788 Atlanta, GA 30348
Visit: Experian Credit Freeze page1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742)Experian Security Freeze, P.O. Box 9554 Allen, TX 75013
How to freeze your credit with TransUnion Visit: TransUnion Credit Freeze page 1-888-909-8872TransUnion LLC, P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016

I found this on https://clark.com/credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/

Message 5 of 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

AnnualCreditReport. Free weekly 3 bureau online reports through April 2021.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was an alert from within myFICO's FICO Quarterly Monitoring product. As mentioned, I already got my credit reports from the bureaus directly and there was no indication of the address and also no new inquiries. My best guess is an attempted identity theft?

Message 7 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Posts were removed. Please save memes and "jokes" for those times new members (and old alike) arent facing potential serious issues. 

Message 8 of 12
core
Valued Contributor

Are you sure that one of your creditors didn't just slightly change your address?  For example they might have changed it to the USPS standardized address rather than the one you originally gave them.  Or something innocent along those lines.

There are quite a few innocent explanations, without having the data in front of me.  But yeah I understand it's more fun to tell someone to freeze all their reports because the boogey man is coming, etc.

Message 9 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

It was an alert from within myFICO's FICO Quarterly Monitoring product. As mentioned, I already got my credit reports from the bureaus directly and there was no indication of the address and also no new inquiries. My best guess is an attempted identity theft?

That's easy to check.  Go through your cards (apps or online), and see if address has been changed anywhere. 

The only way demographics items end up on CR is if lender reports them. 

If there are none, do you have any accounts in collections? 

Sometimes collection agencies will report and send mail where they think you might be. They might use friend's or relative's address because paper trail links them to you. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.