Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did Target really do this?

tag
jons998877
Regular Contributor

Did Target really do this?

So last week I requested EE for a Target card that’s due to fall off in July... requested it for TU and EX only, today I got an alert that Target updated the status of that card on EQ, which is the first tine in many years, dropping my score on EQ 11 points..
Begin of Journey ( 9/2018) EX 508 TU 506 EQ 498

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Re: Did Target really do this?

Wow, sorry to hear this, Jon. I hope someone else chimes in with helpful advice.

Message 2 of 17
jons998877
Regular Contributor

And today got a message that it bounced back up 36 pt to 620... TU from 623 to 640

Message 3 of 17
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Any movement on EX?
Message 4 of 17
jons998877
Regular Contributor

Nothing on EX.. but I have a few PFD and another collection I just paid... plus 7 lines that should fall off in next 3 months... so not sure what happened

Message 5 of 17
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@jons998877 wrote:
Nothing on EX.. but I have a few PFD and another collection I just paid... plus 7 lines that should fall off in next 3 months... so not sure what happened

Try posting in the Rebuilding thread. I think you might get more relevent feedback from folks there.

Message 6 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A creditor is permitted to report updates to a CRA on any delinquent account, which informs that the account remains delinquent, and thus the period since intital delinquency has increased.  

Continued updating of a delinquent account is totally proper, and can even be argued as required under FCRA 605(a)(2) in order to maintain the accuracy of the current period since initial account delinquency.  It can also be updated to show any increase in balance due to assessment of additional interest or late fees.

It is a very common reporting practice.

Message 7 of 17
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I could see it happening for a dispute request. Target receives the dispute and fires back the correct info to all the bureaus, but for EE, it seems a little weird. You're not disputing, just requesting they remove it ahead of time.

Message 8 of 17
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

A creditor is permitted to report updates to a CRA on any delinquent account, which informs that the account remains delinquent, and thus the period since intital delinquency has increased.  

Continued updating of a delinquent account is totally proper, and can even be argued as required under FCRA 605(a)(2) in order to maintain the accuracy of the current period since initial account delinquency.  It can also be updated to show any increase in balance due to assessment of additional interest or late fees.

It is a very common reporting practice.

What are OP's options? It sounds like OP needs to pay off the balance. Is this a scenario where PFD applies? Or some other technique? I'm new to this side of things.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian sometimes sends the request to the creditor. They did the same thing to me with a Ford charge off earlier this year. The same day it came off of EX, I got an alert from Credit Karma that my EQ score went down. Sure enough, they went ahead and updated the charge off despite the fact it has been $0 since 2014. I now have CO marks from 2012 til 2014 where before I had a single CO mark 11/2014. FICO has rebounded, Vantage is still annoyed, and I’m on my third dispute with EQ because the DOFD isn’t even correct on the account.

If I ever have any negative information again you can be certain I won’t be asking any of the bureaus except TU for EE! Best of luck getting it fixed, EQ is a nightmare.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.