Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card minimum payment 3 days late

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Card minimum payment 3 days late

Hi everyone! My chip on my debit card didn't work at a store so I used my discover card. I stupidly forgot about it, and missed a payment of $20 by 3 days. I called discover and they said I wouldn't be charged for the late payment but it would be reported to the credit bureaus. Am I screwed? I've been building my credit and never had a late payment until now. I feel like such an idiot for forgetting. I’m setting up autopay as soon as my payment posts.

I heard that only 30 day lates are reported, but they specifically told me that it would be reported and there’s nothing that can be done about it Smiley Sad In another forum, someone with a Victoria’s Secret credit card had a one day late payment reported and their score dropped. Anyone had a less than 30 day late payment with discover before?
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Card minimum payment 3 days late

Don't worry too much, it won't be a big impact, few points max.
Message 2 of 16
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Welcome to My Fico.  welcomewave (1).gif

Yikes,, sorry..

No, a payment that is less than 30 days late will not be reported to or by a CB.

There is NO category for 3 days late- 30 days is the reporting threshold. 

That said; Disco will have it in your internal file and it can affect future clis etc.. 

Message 3 of 16
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes  Pikaboo-icu is correct, they will not report you for 3 days late, it has to be 30 days late for them to report you, internally it could hinder you down the road.

But the other poster mentioned a recent 30 day late would cost you very little points, I disagree there. A recent 30 days late will cause your score to drop if that's your only negative!!

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 16
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

Yes  Pikaboo-icu is correct, they will not report you for 3 days late, it has to be 30 days late for them to report you, internally it could hinder you down the road.

But the other poster mentioned a recent 30 day late would cost you very little points, I disagree there. A recent 30 days late will cause your score to drop if that's your only negative!!

AAAnodding-head-smiley-emoticon.gif  Yep and sadly it's a pretty BIG drop.. 

Message 5 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Welcome to the doghouse. I was 1 or 2 days late for something like $11-12. My secured discover is still secured at 18 months. I called and they acted like I shouldn't be surprised despite 17 months of good history, 12 of which in a row after the fact. They also won't approve me for a new card. It wasn't reported to the bureaus though.

Message 6 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

AAAnodding-head-smiley-emoticon.gif  Yep and sadly it's a pretty BIG drop.. 

I've seen 70 points for a clean profile. Obviously, not so much if it's already dirty.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Don't worry too much, it won't be a big impact, few points max.

Make no mistake about it my friend.  A single 30 day late on a clean profile can tank your score as much as 100 points.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The OP wasn't 30 days late, so a 30 day late reporting can't happen. That being said, it's impossible that his score drops even a single FICO point from being 3 days late, as his credit report data is remaining constant.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obviously I wasn't ever intended to suggest you can do a 30 day late and suffer few points drop max.

I was wrong, however, in suggesting that few days late would cause anything on fico score.

I had a couple few days late payment with chase and disc, it must have been coincided with some other changes on my credit file,since my score dropped a few points.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.