Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Closed my account after 8 years

tag
x2rippx
Established Member

Discover Closed my account after 8 years

They closed my account in April 2019, i paid off the remaining balance in March 2020. My main issue is I have a 60 day late in 2017 and one 30 day late in March 2020. Even though my account shows paid off and closed on my credit report, does it still negatively effect my credit if i end up buying a house?

What is the best course of action? should i write a goodwill letter and have them remove the discrepancies or try to get the account removed entirely and if so how do you get it removed entirely?

Thank you

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Discover Closed my account after 8 years

Why did they close your account? You can ask for goodwill / late removals. I doubt they will remove it.  Good Luck.

Message 2 of 3
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Discover Closed my account after 8 years

Unfortunately, Discover does not do GW removals.

You might hear "Try it anyways, it cannot hurt" but it's going to be collosal waste of time. 

Lates will negatively affect your report (60 day one in particular) for a while, it makes no difference whether account is opened or closed. 

If you believe there is an error, feel free to dispute it, but first ensure you really weren't late while paying off closed account, because if you were, and it comes back verified, it might hurt your score further. 

When paying off closed accounts, same rules apply as with open accounts. You will need your January, February, and March statements along with corresponding payments to prove you paid in timely manner, you paid prior or on due date, and at no point did you pay below minimum amount due. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.