Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Refund Issued to Someone Else

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Secured Refund Issued to Someone Else

Graduated from the secured card in August 2017 but the $2500 dollar security deposit refund check never received in the mail. Called Discover and it turns out to be already cashed in. Copy of the Federal Reserve bank check image retrieval shows the check is paid out to and signed by some other person at a US bank ATM in St. Paul MN, and I'm located in CA. Discover now wants me to sign and notarize an Affidavit of Fraud so they can continue to look into this issue. To me this just looks like Discover made an error and associated this other person's check number to my account, but they are adamant on the affidavit of fraud and won't budge before I send it in.

What are my options now? Don't they keep track of check numbers and who they were paid out to? It seems like a simple easily fixed issue that shouldn't take almost a year of back and forth calling to not even have any results. Is there a better number to reach Discover with? Email maybe?

TLDR: $2500 secured card refund check was issued to and cashed in by someone else. Discover wants me to claim fraud. What are my options?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Secured Refund Issued to Someone Else

@Anonymous wrote:
What are my options?

1) Sign and notarize an "Affidavit of Fraud" so they can continue to look into this issue.

2) Take the loss.

I would pick door # 1

Message 2 of 5
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I don’t understand the issue here ?
Even if discover did screw up somewhere and sent your money to another person.

They aren’t going to do anything unless you sign that form.

If your issue is with signing an affidavit ?
If you didn’t cash the check and you didn’t give the check to someone else to cash. It’s just a piece of paper you signed. Unless you committed fraud regarding this check then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Sign it and get your money back

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 3 of 5
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

As others have stated, you have to sign the affidavit in order for them to move forward. Even though it was an internal mix up within Discover, they have to investigate it as fraud to find out what caused the mix up.

Five years ago, a was due a refund check from my school. I live on a Lane but the check was sent to a Terrace. I never received it and the check was cashed. At a check cashing place. The crook was smart enough not to desposit in his/her account.  I had to fill out a fraud affidavit to get my money. I will say that it only took about a week after they received the affidavit to get my money to me. They also sent it via FedEx with a signature required.

It's a small hassle for $2500.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforce wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
What are my options?

1) Sign and notarize an "Affidavit of Fraud" so they can continue to look into this issue.

2) Take the loss.

I would pick door # 1

3) Fly down to Minnesota and make him/her an offer he/she can't refuse.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.