Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover not reporting statement balance

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Discover not reporting statement balance

Hi folks.  Here's a potentially useful datapoint. 

Until moments ago, I had a recurring charge billed to my Discover card.  The charge hits on the 5th of the month; the Discover statement cuts on the 7th.

Reviewing today's EQ report, I learned that while the charge does not show on the statement (the statement shows a zero balance), Discover does  report the charge to the bureau (i.e. - Discover reports that I owe a balance).  Which ticks me off a little.

Needless to say, I've moved that charge against a different card, 'cause I try to maintain AZE3 or better.

FWIW ...

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover not necessarily reporting statement balance

Hmm that’s interesting. I’ve never had that happen before on any of my cards. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 19
calyx
Super Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

Hi folks.  Here's a possibly useful datapoint. 

Until moments ago, I had a recurring charge billed to my Discover card.  The charge hits on the 5th of the month; the Discover statement cuts on the 7th.

Reviewing today's EQ report, I learned that while the charge does not show on the statement (the statement shows a zero balance), Discover does  report the charge to the bureau (i.e. - Discover reports that I owe a balance).  Which ticks me off a little.

Needless to say, I've moved that charge against a different card, 'cause I try to maintain AZE3 or better.

FWIW ...

Thanks for the info!  I've noticed that Disco is a little squirrely with its reporting when there are charges (recurring or otherwise) around the report/cut date for me.  Fortunately for me, it's my first year with them, so I'm pounding them for the double cash back and I do want it to report (though sometimes as much as it does report...).   Your confirmation let's me know it's not just me. Smiley Very Happy

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 19
Remedios
Credit Mentor

That's never happened to me. The only times Disco reported off cycle is when I asked them to do so and when I added AUs. 

Message 4 of 19
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

I wouldn't say that Disco is reporting 'off cycle'.  It's reporting on or about the 7th each month.  What I am saying is that Disco is not reporting the Statement balance.  I suspect that the statement cuts, the charge subsequently posts, and then Disco reports -- a series of unfortunate events.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 5 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I believe that is likely the exact sequence of events, and is a great point for those who decide to do something like AZEO if Discover is one of their "zero" cards. 

As for reporting off-cycle, I've mentioned it a few times (still bitter LOL) but when I first opened my account my first statement close date was about 7 weeks out.  I opted in for a large balance transfer when I applied, but my approval was only for a fraction of that amount so I assumed the BT request would be discarded.  My SL was only $2,500 so I was using the card like mad to try to force a large CLI and started making mid-cycle payments from week one.  2 or 3 weeks into the account being opened, they decided to partially fulfill the balance transfer almost to my remaining credit limit, and reported the account to the credit bureaus on the day of the month that my statement closes (even though there was no statement the first month), with the balance being 90+% of the credit line!  Needless to say, I learned my lesson to never ask for a BT during the application process and at least I got a $3,000 CLI about 60 days in (but only another $4,000 in the 2 1/2 years since).

Message 6 of 19
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Yeah, you are bitter -- I read that story just a week or so ago.

Smiley Wink

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 7 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@expatCanuck wrote:

Yeah, you are bitter -- I read that story just a week or so ago.

Smiley Wink

I am.  Let Discover drop your TU FICO 08 to 690 and see how you feel.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover not reporting statement balance

OP I have to ask, given the scores in your signature, why bother? I have similar scores and have found the difference between all accounts and one account reporting to be small enough that l will still qualify for the best rates. Are you simply playing the game for fun or just trying for 850? Not to be taken the wrong way I'm just curious. Personally trying to maintain a certain utilization across accounts drives me nuts.
Message 9 of 19
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Re: Discover not reporting statement balance

Fair question. 

Yeah, I enjoy the game.  But the purpose of my original post (as noted) is to let people know of this behavior, so they can act accordingly in case it matters.

Personally, I find the situation troubling because an issuer should bloody well be reporting to the bureaus the same friendly thing that they're reporting to cardholders.  In other words, if you tell a consumer that he/she doesn't owe anything for a billing period, that's what should be reported to the bureaus.  And the underlying IT systems should be built accordingly.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.