Did you mean: 

Discover not reporting statement balance

tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover not reporting statement balance

@expatCanuck wrote:

Fair question. 

Yeah, I enjoy the game.  But the purpose of my original post (as noted) is to let people know of this behavior, so they can act accordingly in case it matters.

Personally, I find the situation troubling because an issuer should bloody well be reporting to the bureaus the same friendly thing that they're reporting to cardholders.  In other words, if you tell a consumer that he/she doesn't owe anything for a billing period, that's what should be reported to the bureaus.  And the underlying IT systems should be built accordingly.

US Bank and thier subsidiary Elan Financil report your balance on the last day of the month regardless of statement balance. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 11 of 19
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

So... Is there a predictable timeline on what/what they report. For example, is it known whether they always report the current balance x days after teh statement cuts? Or, is this limited to situations when charges are made right around the statement cut date?

Also, any idea on how this may impact payments? For example, my statement cut on the 5th. I subsequently made a payment the same day. I'm wondering if their next report will show the balance before or after the payment. 

Message 12 of 19
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

I did not think I was affected by this but noticed today this is the way it works. My statement cuts on the 5th and reporting normally happen's on the 9th. After reading this I paid attention and sure enough, it did not report the statement balance but the balance as of today. I need to keep this in mind

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 13 of 19
calyx
Super Contributor

@Caardvark wrote:

So... Is there a predictable timeline on what/what they report. For example, is it known whether they always report the current balance x days after teh statement cuts? Or, is this limited to situations when charges are made right around the statement cut date?

Also, any idea on how this may impact payments? For example, my statement cut on the 5th. I subsequently made a payment the same day. I'm wondering if their next report will show the balance before or after the payment. 

When looking at my reports, I see that they always report the 4th
My statement is cut the 5th (the 1st is my payment due date).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 14 of 19
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

Interesting...

It seems that for both expatCanuck and dynamicvb, Disco is reporting the balance on a date several days after the statement cut date. Yet for you, Disco is reporting the day before your statement cut date.

There seems to be no predictable pattern and that each of us (who cares about such things) needs to find out our own reporting dates. 

Message 15 of 19
Remedios
Credit Mentor

For me the statement day is 17th, and it's usually updated on EX either the 18th or 19th. 

Only statement balances were reported, never pending charges if there were any. 

Message 16 of 19
drewopa
Established Member

This happened to me last month.  The pizza joint I visited did not take Amex and the only other card I had on me was Discover.  The authorization was given on the 24th.  My statement closed on the 26th with a zero balance.  However, they reported a balance to the bureaus which was $30 for the pizza.  I tried to pay it right after the meal but was denied a payment option because my balance was zero.  In the end, the fault was mine for even having the Discover in my wallet being so close to the cut date.  

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@expatCanuck wrote:

Hi folks.  Here's a potentially useful datapoint. 

Until moments ago, I had a recurring charge billed to my Discover card.  The charge hits on the 5th of the month; the Discover statement cuts on the 7th.

Reviewing today's EQ report, I learned that while the charge does not show on the statement (the statement shows a zero balance), Discover does  report the charge to the bureau (i.e. - Discover reports that I owe a balance).  Which ticks me off a little.

Needless to say, I've moved that charge against a different card, 'cause I try to maintain AZE3 or better.

FWIW ...

Glad you reported this finding! It has happened to me before and it is more than Discover that has done it to me. Makes me darn mad ... why do they do that? Leave a foot print in the bureaus just like HPs versus SPs so the other creditors know?! Time for a RANT! Smiley Mad

Message 18 of 19
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Same thing just happ7to me, exept it wasn’t a reoccurring charge. At least I’m not apping for anything for a couple of months. Now I know to be careful of large purchases just before the statement cuts.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.