Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Remarks

tag
Cjethompson2017
Frequent Contributor

Dispute Remarks

How often does Experian update reports? I don't remember disputing an account directly with Experian, but my loan office pulled reports and it shows as disputed. If I log into Experian, it shows I can dispute it. I'm kind of confused and hoping it'll update on its own saying it's no longer disputed. Will it do that?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: Dispute Remarks

@Cjethompson2017 wrote:

How often does Experian update reports? I don't remember disputing an account directly with Experian, but my loan office pulled reports and it shows as disputed. If I log into Experian, it shows I can dispute it. I'm kind of confused and hoping it'll update on its own saying it's no longer disputed. Will it do that?

Disputes are always temporary in nature, and only show as a dispute until the dispute has been investigated and a ruling is determined. The disputed data is not used in the scoring immediately when a dispute is initiated. If the investigation determines the disputed data is inaccurate, the errant data is corrected, and the corrected data is used in scores. If the investigation determines the disputed data to be accurate, the disputed data is once again used in scoring. In any case, while the disputed data is pending, major lending decisions like a mortgage will usually be delayed until a ruling is reached if the disputed data would result in a decline of the loan if it is determined to be accurate. The reason the dispute remark shows is to temporarily remove the data from scoring impact until a ruling is reached. If the dispute is valid and is actually an error on the report, the individual should not have to suffer the harm to their score until the investigation concludes, which is why it is no longer used in scoring until completed.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 2 of 10
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

Going by a recent experience when I disputed a Chase AU account that wasn't updating regularly with EQ. They totally bungled it and instead disputed a perfectly reporting BOA account, the 2 other CRAs immediately placed the same dispute comment on my BOA account after BOA said my account had no issues.

All I did was to call TU(deleted while I was on the phone) and EX(removed the next day) made it clear that I did not and wasn't disputing the account and wanted the comment gone. With EQ, I decided not to call them anymore(i believe they have company-wide comprehension issues) instead, I disputed the wrong dispute on myequifax.com and it was gone within 24hours as well. 

Hope it works out for you as well.

Message 3 of 10
Cjethompson2017
Frequent Contributor

@Credit_Flavours  It's only on Experian. If we call, will they say when the remark will be removed? I need to have our credit pulled again for the mortgage to make everything go through and I'd hate to pull when it hadn't deleted. 

Side note, you can dispute a dispute remark? 😂😂😂😂

Message 4 of 10
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

@Cjethompson2017 wrote:

@Credit_Flavours  It's only on Experian. If we call, will they say when the remark will be removed? I need to have our credit pulled again for the mortgage to make everything go through and I'd hate to pull when it hadn't deleted. 

Crazy, right?

Regarding the call, they will pretty much tell you when the remarks will be off. The TU lady said to stay on the line while she removes it and true to her words, I refreshed my account immediately on trueidentity.com and the remarks were gone and with EX, the guy said it will be off within 24hours and when I checked Experianworks the next morning, it was gone. 

So you should actually be able to verify the removal before you order a fresh hard pull.

Message 5 of 10
Cjethompson2017
Frequent Contributor

@Credit_Flavours Ok so I just called and he said the same thing. But, I just got a notification that a dispute has been opened on that account. 🥴 So, that's the same thing right? I sure hope so. Lol. Like they opened a dispute just to get the remarks removed? It's insane that they can't just do it like transunion does.

Message 6 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Cjethompson2017 wrote:

If there are no open disputes started by you give the CRA a call and tell them you are not disputing anything and you want the comments removed.

Message 7 of 10
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Cjethompson2017 wrote:

What about this...can you dispute the dispute of a dispute remark?Smiley Very HappySmiley Tongue

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a thread linked in post 7 of the Scoring Primer about removing old dispute remarks.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this post. Experian said they removed it, it is off from the comments section. I also see "Reinvestigation Info" and it has a comment "This item was updated from our processing of your dispute in Mar 2021". The experian rep says he does not see this comment on his side. What is this reinvestigation info section? Will this comment impact me?

Thanks for your time!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.