Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing and Ethics

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputing and Ethics

confused, i was typing it and naturally had to stop to go check tc and then came back to finish.  i didnt see your post.  you said it much more succinctly (sp?) than i did.  Smiley Wink
Message 11 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

hey, its all good we are on the same page!
Message 12 of 40
fused
Moderator Emeritus

There is no ethical dilemma about disputing accounts that you personally know are reporting
correctly. What you know/don't know isn't relevant. (Try to have a non-reporting positive
account put ON your reports for an idea of how little what you know matters). All you are
doing is demanding the CRA prove that they can verify what they are reporting (no more, no
less).

I think it's an interesting post and must say I do agree with much of what you said, but I am a little surprised the FICO admin has not chimed in.  Tuscani, this is what I got out of your inital post.  An example here not a true event or story.  I pulled my three CRs and noticed 15 inqs on them mostly from recent CC apps.  Knowing this is hurting my score, I dispute all of them with the CRAs as not mine or inaccurate while knowing full well they are mine and they are reporting accuratelyI am a little surprised, you commonly state in your posts that you should not dispute accurate information in your credit reports.  Has something changed.  I have read countless threads and posts at other forums where they take credit repair to notches unknown, employing ruthless guerilla tactics on creditors. 

Message Edited by fused111 on 06-26-2007 03:53 PM
Message 13 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

This just happenend to me....

I sent a GW to AT&T re a 3 yo paid collection of $200.   A nice lady called me up yesterday and said that since AT&T bought out the local phone company, my record of that Paid Collection had been purged from the system, it no longer exists.  She said go ahead and dispute with the CRA's and when they can't confirm it will be deleted from my records.  What a nice ladySmiley Wink

It's my Paid Collection no doubt, but if I can get it off my report, I'm gettin it off.  And won't lose a bit of sleep over.  Keep in mind that I did pay a price for that collection.  Higher Interest rates, etc.  But to get an early break on it is no problem as far I'm concerned.

Hey, murderers get 20y.o. sentances and get out after 5 for good behavior.  I've been good too. Smiley Very Happy

Live Long and Prosper,
ctRob

Message Edited by ctrob on 06-26-2007 06:55 PM
Message 14 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice post.
I know I have walked the line on some of my disputes.
I am also glad the Myfico has a good set of TOS that keeps the forum clean of unethical techniques.

Message 15 of 40
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

masdeocho wrote:

Tuscani wrote:

masdeocho wrote:
Gotta respectfully disagree with you here, Tusc.  I could make a nice little legal argument that fully supports your position.  But ethics are another story.

Let's say a piece of info is correct, e.g., you (colloquial "you") were 60 days late. Suppose you don't know whether or not it's correct.  Or you believe it's incorrect.  OK, go ahead and dispute it. 

Now suppose that you know plain well that it is correct.  You dispute it, but not because you have some noble intent to force the CRAs to do their job.  We all have better ways to spend our time. Seriously. You dispute it because you're hoping you get lucky and they delete it.  I think there's an ethical issue there. 

You are arguing that your knowledge of the correctness of the item is irrelevant in this ethical dilemma.  I think your knowledge and intent has everything to do with it.  JMHO.

I hear you. But I do feel that knowing is irrelevant. How do you know that my intentions are not strictly noble? And assuming they are, why shouldn't the CRAs delete! If my intentions are not noble, why should I scrutinize myself for the CRAs not doing their job to verify. Smiley Happy

Nonetheless, I think we can all agree that there is quite the fine line between legality and ethics.

Tusc - I have never had any doubt that your intentions are always the noblest.  Smiley Happy

Perhaps you should. HEHE Smiley Tongue
Message 16 of 40
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I see you answered in the time it took me to type and delete my post.
Message 17 of 40
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

fused111 wrote:

There is no ethical dilemma about disputing accounts that you personally know are reporting
correctly. What you know/don't know isn't relevant. (Try to have a non-reporting positive
account put ON your reports for an idea of how little what you know matters). All you are
doing is demanding the CRA prove that they can verify what they are reporting (no more, no
less).

I think it's an interesting post and must say I do agree with much of what you said, but I am a little surprised the FICO admin has not chimed in.  Tuscani, this is what I got out of your inital post.  An example here not a true event or story.  I pulled my three CRs and noticed 15 inqs on them mostly from recent CC apps.  Knowing this is hurting my score, I dispute all of them with the CRAs as not mine or inaccurate while knowing full well they are mine and they are reporting accuratelyI am a little surprised, you commonly state in your posts that you should not dispute accurate information in your credit reports.  Has something changed.  I have read countless threads and posts at other forums where they take credit repair to notches unknown, employing ruthless guerilla tactics on creditors. 

Message Edited by fused111 on 06-26-2007 03:53 PM

I wouldn't say things have changed.. While we do technically frown upon disputing accurate items, whether or not you want to challenge the system based upon your ethical standards is up to you. No one here can tell you what you can and can't do, and disputing is not illegal.
Message 18 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, someone please let me know the next time this happens:

1.  You find incorrect info on your report, but it is positive. For example a TL that isn't yours is in good standing and shows up, or a judgment that is yours but the amount owed is higher than what is displayed.  Are you going to dispute it?

2.  EX doesn't report 3 of your collections that TU correctly reports.  Are you going to take EX to task because your report isn't correct and accurate?

Just gotta keep those CRAs in line, right?

Hey, you needed a Devil's Advocate on this one ...

Message 19 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

A TL that was not mine helped me get my first mortgage in 1999.  I was never asked about it - never answered.

All I can say is disputing accurate information can be bad as they can find a late that was not reported or they change it to a more recent date.

This is a game - a very serious one at that. 

masdeocho wrote:
OK, someone please let me know the next time this happens:

1.  You find incorrect info on your report, but it is positive. For example a TL that isn't yours is in good standing and shows up, or a judgment that is yours but the amount owed is higher than what is displayed.  Are you going to dispute it?

2.  EX doesn't report 3 of your collections that TU correctly reports.  Are you going to take EX to task because your report isn't correct and accurate?

Just gotta keep those CRAs in line, right?

Hey, you needed a Devil's Advocate on this one ...

Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.