Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing items due to fall off....

tag
egaithe
Regular Contributor

Disputing items due to fall off....

Does disputing items that are supposed to fall off keep them from falling off?

EQ-660, TU-687, EX-646
Goal: 750s in all
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Disputing items due to fall off....

To answer your question, disputing will not extend the time a derogatory is on credit report, however, you should never ever dispute accurately reporting derogatory items on your credit report. Disputes are for removing inaccurate information from your credit report. By disputing accurate derogatory information, it will be updated and drop your FICO score. 

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Medic981
I will have to disagree with the statement of item dispute and update causing a fico drop, I have had 2 updated items in the last month , independently cause a slight bump in one CB or the other. I have also seen inquiries on major CCs cause up to a 10 point bump in one CB or the other. Not sure if these events are situational or file specific to me , but they defy everything I have learned and normal activity for others .
Message 3 of 5
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Medic981
I will have to disagree with the statement of item dispute and update causing a fico drop, I have had 2 updated items in the last month , independently cause a slight bump in one CB or the other. I have also seen inquiries on major CCs cause up to a 10 point bump in one CB or the other. Not sure if these events are situational or file specific to me , but they defy everything I have learned and normal activity for others .

Unfortunately, disputing a derog caused my score to drop quite a few points. It was a medical collection for $1,600, and I was trying to get an early exclusion with Experian. They said the DoFD was Jan 2012 and it would come off Jan 2019. So when I disputed it, it came back verified, and the collection started updating monthly. Before that, it was just some long ago forgotten debt that probably wasn't impacting my score all that much. I just had to be impatient... Funny thing is it actually fell off my report on Monday. So much for Jan 2019! Apparently EX does exclude these things 3 months early.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its a shame that it had even the slightest negative impact on your scores , but at least it has been deleted all together now. Maybe the dispute helped in the long run.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.