Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Banks Steer You?

tag
Lauraist
Valued Member

Do Banks Steer You?

Last Saturday, I received an invitation for an Ollo card, but got turned down when I applied.

On Wednesday, I received a pre-approved application for a Merrick Bank card and got accepted.

When I checked my CK report to look at the HPs, I noticed they both have the same address.

Is the Bank of Missouri (Ollo issuer) affiliated with Merrick?

Do banks which are affiliated ever send out two different apps, and turn you down for the first on purpose, to get you to apply for the second, which is the one they really want you to take anyway? Or am I being paranoid/thinking too much?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Do Banks Steer You?

@Lauraist wrote:

Last Saturday, I received an invitation for an Ollo card, but got turned down when I applied.

On Wednesday, I received a pre-approved application for a Merrick Bank card and got accepted.

When I checked my CK report to look at the HPs, I noticed they both have the same address.

Do banks which are affiliated ever send out two different apps, and turn you down for the first on purpose, to get you to apply for the second, which is the one they really want you to take anyway? Or am I being paranoid/thinking too much?

I do not know much about either bank .. but a quick search yields this

https://www.bankrate.com/banks/merrick-bank/2615190/

I do not think Merrick bank is associated to the Bank of Missouri .

------------

Looks like the Ollo Card is targeted toward people with a specific range of EX FICO score ...

"That's why I was intrigued by two new credit cards tailored specifically to Experian customers in the fair to good credit range (typically, a FICO® Score* between 580 and 700): the Ollo Platinum Mastercard® and the Ollo Rewards Mastercard®.

I have covered credit cards for a long time, so I was a little skeptical of the idea that a card aimed at consumers in this middle credit range could be a good deal for them, even if it is offered by my own company.

Sumit Agarwal, head of digital marketing and lending innovation for Fair Square Financial, the company behind the Ollo card, explained to me that they created this card with specific input from consumers in this credit range.

"For this population segment, known as ‘near prime,' there aren't too many great products available," says Agarwal. "There are many good cards for people in the upper end of the range, but not those in the middle or bottom."

Message 2 of 3
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

Re: Do Banks Steer You?

@Lauraist wrote:

I don't think Merrick has any connection to the bank of missouri. The bank of missouri issues several different cards but Merrick is not listed as one.  I myself have a Cerulean card that comes up as Bank Of Missouri/Cerulean and I have a Merrick card which flys under the several cards Merrick issues.

The pre-approvals are never 100% guaranteed. I used to think they were until I got one from Fortiva back in May applied and got denied.

This was a blessing in disguise though after I read their annual fees, maintenance fees and fee fees.

Credit scores constantly change and at the time they pulled yours for the OLLO card there may have been a change by the time you applied that didn't appeal to the algorithm.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.