Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Accounts, Creditor and Debt Collector

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Duplicate Accounts, Creditor and Debt Collector

Hi, I have two accounts on my credit file that are this way.  Basically, I have the original creditor listed and the original debt amount is there.  Then the same debt is listed with the collections companies that the debt has been turned over to.  This seems odd to me since it's only 1 debt and it is, in essence, showing up twice on my report, causing my credit to look even worse (even though it's not great).

Is this right?  I've been trying to call the 3 credit reporting bureaus and every time I get an automated message saying to check out their website, blah blah blah.  Help?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: Duplicate Accounts, Creditor and Debt Collector

Sorry to say but Yup, that is par for the course.  
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh - well thank you.  I wish I'd known all about credit when I was starting out.  They shouldreally give classes on it in junior high and high school.  I went into debt as a teenager who spent frivelously.  Paying for it now! 
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope it is ok to post this. Here is a little trick to get a live person on the line at the 3 CR agencies.

TU- 800-916-8800 press 2 at each prompt ignoring messages.
EQ- 866-640-2273 press 30 at each prompt ignoring messages
EX- 800-493-1058 say "yes"-enter report #-enter SS#- say "yes"-say "agent"-then yes to confirm prompts thereafter.

I have a link to a website that gives all this info to be able to get through to reps. The website lists all the numbers for CC companies and a lot of other companies. http://www.gethuman.com/us/

Message Edited by onmyway3161 on 06-19-2007 11:49 AM
Message 4 of 5
Cory
Established Contributor

AmandaTaylor7 wrote:
Hi, I have two accounts on my credit file that are this way.  Basically, I have the original creditor listed and the original debt amount is there.  Then the same debt is listed with the collections companies that the debt has been turned over to.  This seems odd to me since it's only 1 debt and it is, in essence, showing up twice on my report, causing my credit to look even worse (even though it's not great).

Is this right?  I've been trying to call the 3 credit reporting bureaus and every time I get an automated message saying to check out their website, blah blah blah.  Help?

You can dispute them. I had Providian and Presidio reporting on my account. Which was the same debt. I disputed both of them, hoping that both will fall off, but Providian fell off.

You have the right to dispute the original creditor since they sold it to the collection agency. Be careful those folks will probaly start trying to collect again.,,,,lol

Cory
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.