Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending Authorized User Account

tag
bpcnabe
Established Member

Ending Authorized User Account

Don't know if this is the right section, but...

I was an AU on wife's Amex account. I was using this account to help add history to my file as I was w/o credit for years, since 2008. Recent spending had her carrying a significant reporting balance (yes, you can carry a balance on charge cards under certain situations) and thought it was affecting my overall util. I've read that it doesn't, but have been seeing FICO move lower and only change was higher reporting balance. So, I removed myself from her account. Maybe being an AU was affecting my own ability to get a charge card but had no issue getting 2 credit cards from them. Don't know.

Question I have is how does this affect file going forward? I know that a closed account stays on file and continues to add to aging, but does an AU account have the same affect? Will I look at my file sometime in the near future and suddenly not see this trade line, like I never had it?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ending Authorized User Account

I don't have an answer for you. But I'm interested in knowing the answer also. I was an AU on a card of my husband's and I had him remove me because the UTI was high. I'm trying to get my own UTI down at the moment.So far the lender hasn't updated any records, the account remains the same on my reports. I'm sure it will take a little time and I might have an answer at some point. I would be interested if anyone else with experiance with this will give you a reply.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ending Authorized User Account

New Update: Not sure if this completly answers your question but my reports updated today. AU user account is listed as closed/terminated..so I believe the tradelines do not just drop off like they didn't happen. But my scores went up on both Experian (gain of 22 points) and EQ (gain of 19 points), no change to TU (not sure why because account reports to all 3.) Not sure if you will have a similar experiance or not, as your AU account was much older. My score change could have happened with UTI and the age of account. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.