cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax Dropped Score for Disputing Account!?

tag
Talima719
New Contributor

Equifax Dropped Score for Disputing Account!?

Has anyone gone through this and what are the end results? This is for a closed account that I'm disputing. I opened dispute with all 3 bureaus last night and Equifax is the only one who did this.

Screenshot_20200303-155146.png

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Equifax Dropped Score for Disputing Account!?

Are you disputing that it is Closed?

let us know the account details and the purpose of your dispute

there is a situation where you dispute a correct, bad account and due to the Verification process, it will bring a bad item to light again, and cause a score drop.  

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why are you disputing?

Message 3 of 14
doredeb
New Contributor

Yes; this happened to me.  Disputed a collection, score dropped 35 points!  When dispute results came back as "updated", I got the points back. This only happened on my Equifax report, BTW.

Message 4 of 14
Talima719
New Contributor

I'm disputing a 30 late for a mortgage account from January 2018. Long story short, bill pay didn't go through. So you would assume that's my mistake and indeed accurate reporting. However, the lender was sending all communications to my previous address for over 8 months. So the mail notification that I missed my payment could have prevented this mistake. I'm just looking for equal blame. Only blemish on my report that I want gone! I also have documentation of them updating my mailing address as proof that I never was receiving mail correspondence.

If I'm wrong for trying, I'll back off.

Also, the mortgage was sold to another lender last yr. Hence why it's closed.

Message 5 of 14
RSX
Valued Contributor

You can try to get this cleared up with the original mortgage lender, but NOT through the CR dispute process

also, I understand the communications we're going to the wrong place, but the amount didn't come out of your account, so they might say you should have noticed this ( I know stuff happens, just giving you a heads up on what they might say)

don't dispute it anymore.  

I hope your points are recovered

get in contact with the lender and see what they will do for you

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 6 of 14
Talima719
New Contributor

@RSX wrote:

You can try to get this cleared up with the original mortgage lender, but NOT through the CR dispute process

also, I understand the communications we're going to the wrong place, but the amount didn't come out of your account, so they might say you should have noticed this ( I know stuff happens, just giving you a heads up on what they might say)

don't dispute it anymore.  

I hope your points are recovered

get in contact with the lender and see what they will do for you

Yea. I'm def a set and forget it person when it comes to bill pay because everything is auto and enough to cover my expenses. Something went funky this month. I called  Equifax to voice my concerns because this is the ONLY thing that caused the dropped. So the rep opened another dispute to remove the dispute comments 😒. So we'll see how this goes. Aaid it can take up to 72 hours. So I'm wondering what do I do with the other dispute to fight the 30 day. I'll def leave it be after this.

Message 7 of 14
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Talima719 wrote:

I'm disputing a 30 late for a mortgage account from January 2018. Long story short, bill pay didn't go through. So you would assume that's my mistake and indeed accurate reporting. However, the lender was sending all communications to my previous address for over 8 months. So the mail notification that I missed my payment could have prevented this mistake. I'm just looking for equal blame. Only blemish on my report that I want gone! I also have documentation of them updating my mailing address as proof that I never was receiving mail correspondence.

If I'm wrong for trying, I'll back off.

Also, the mortgage was sold to another lender last yr. Hence why it's closed.

This one may just have to be a lesson-learned. The onus is on us to ensure bill payments are made. A mortgage payment is usually our largest monthly payment so it's really kind of difficult not to notice that the payment wasnt deducted from one's checking account. And considering there's usually a 15-day grace period for mortgage payments, it seems that your non-payment exceeded that. Yep, I dont believe it will get removed--Not by the CRA anyway. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 14
Talima719
New Contributor

@doredeb wrote:

Yes; this happened to me.  Disputed a collection, score dropped 35 points!  When dispute results came back as "updated", I got the points back. This only happened on my Equifax report, BTW.

I'm hoping this is the same end result because this doesn't make sense. The rep opened a new dispute to remove "dispute comments" so I'm hoping it will bounce back.  One thing that was also odd that she mentioned is that the score that myFICO is saying I have (716) is not the score that she is seeing. She didn't disclose it although I'm assuming it's the (742) it was.  But I'm hoping it will bounce back.

Message 9 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

When an account is in dispute, it can be temporarily excluded from scoring.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.