Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax deleted information keeps reappearing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax deleted information keeps reappearing

Hi all,

My credit file was mixed with someone else's. It took me more than a month to remove all those incorrect information, and now the current address is the last piece of information I need to correct. However, each time the agent removed my incorrect current address and update it to the correct one, the incorrect address would reappear the next day. This has already happened four times...

The agent today corrected it for me so I am expecting that the incorrect address will reappear for the fifth time tomorrow Smiley Happy I have reached out to the mixed department today but the agent couldn't help me because I have already corrected the address. He needs to see the incorrect address in order to do something. I will call them again tomorrow when that address comes back. 

Do you have any suggestions on dealing with this situation? I also wonder what is the worst consequence if my current address is incorrect. Will a collection account be added to my credit file because that collection account is linked to this incorrect address? Sometimes I really want to give up because this issue is so time-consuming and annoying 😫 Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Re: Equifax deleted information keeps reappearing

My first thought was maybe get the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau involved? If Equifax can't get the problem corrected, some pushing from the CFPB might spark some extra effort on their part. This is a very strange circumstance, ....is this a "John Smith" common name type thing?

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for replying! I was also thinking about submitting a complaint to CFPB. I will do that after I receive all my dispute results.

My name is actually not common. That person has the same last name as me but a slightly different first name, only a two-letter difference.

I think the main problem comes from Equifax. I talked to the mixed department these days and they blocked that address for me, but the next day it just went back again. Ahhh 😫 Really don't know how to solve this issue. Anyway, thank you so much for replying!

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Each updating reporting of a creditor provides for them to report the current consumer address.

Before escalating to a CFPB complaint, I would contact each reporting creditor to ensure that their account reporting reflects the correct current address.

Message 4 of 5
cr101
Established Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

My first thought was maybe get the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau involved? If Equifax can't get the problem corrected, some pushing from the CFPB might spark some extra effort on their part. This is a very strange circumstance, ....is this a "John Smith" common name type thing?

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/

This was the first thing that came to mind. I actually filed a complaint yesterday about a diff matter and "info keeps reappearing" is one of the things that I saw. That's what made me think of that. I also have the same issue, and with the same bureau, EQ. They've deleted a random address from my file at least twice, but it's still there. I'm still asked about this address when sites present me with info from my profile. 

@RobertEG wrote:

Each updating reporting of a creditor provides for them to report the current consumer address.

Before escalating to a CFPB complaint, I would contact each reporting creditor to ensure that their account reporting reflects the correct current address.

Can EQ just provide this info themselves? Wouldn't they have a record of which company provided the info? I would think so. 😬 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.