Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax name change horror story

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax name change horror story

Four years ago I did a legal name change, via a court order. After that, I got a new social security card (the s.s.n. number remained the same),  a new passport, DL, and updated my name on all of my credit card and bank accounts and on my mortgage account that I had at the time. When I asked the credit card companies if I needed to to anything regarding updating my name with the credit bureaus, they told me "no". They said that they will keep reporting my credit card activity with the same s.s.n. and that the credit bureaus will understand that my name has changed and will add some field like "also known as" in their records. I maintained credit minitoring accounts with Experian and Transunion, and I noticed that they did just that with my credit file. However, as I found out later, Equifax did not. Over the period of four years all of my active credit cards have been reissued under my new name and eventually with new account numbers as well. In several cases (Citi and Barclays) the banks at some point changed the account numbers themselves, and with Chase I had some unauthorized transaction at some point show up and the card had to be cancelled and re-issued with a new account number for security reasons. As it turned out all these years my Equifax credit score was slowly going down due to inactivity. Right now I am in the process of buying an apartment. When I applied for a mortgage pre-approval, this issue came to light. The lender pulled my Equifax credit report and it came back with NO score at all. The lender called the Equifax business customer support and eventually was told something to the effect that my credit file went dormant due to lack of recent activity and that's why there was no score. At the same time my scores from Experian and Transunion were around 833, 834.

I then signed up with MyEquifax for their credit monitoring service to see what was going on. They showed me some kind of a simulated score of around 675 (!!). Moreover, none of the reissued cards under my new name were shown in the Equifax report and it was only showing  old closed accounts, with one exception (a Discover account that I had not used in several years).

It tool me several days and hours on the phone with Equifax to get them to update my name. I had to provide them a ton of documents through their online dispute center. I had to talk to several supervisors since regular customer service reps there are almost completely useless. The supervisors are not much better. Their first attempt to change my name was done incorrectly: They changed the first name but not the last name and produced a weird hybrid. I had to call again, and eventually they did change my name to the correct one. BUT they neglected to add my previous name under "also known as"/"other names". So the next time I logged in and my credit report refreshed, my entire credit history disappered! The credit report was completely blank! Several more hours on the phone and they re-added my former name under  "also known as"/"other names". My credit history came back. Then suddenly my (simulated) Equifax credit score jumped to 761, presumably because of the credit inquiries by the mortage lender. The lender tried to pull the report again, and it came back to him with a score, this time 775. I made a small charge to that Discover card and then two of the credit cards that I actively use (Barclays and Citi) posted their monthly statements, with small balances, $9 and $39, and they also showed up back on my Equifax report. The Citi Mastercard account is one of my older accounts, 26+ years, and as of now the simulated (shown to me) Equifax credit score is 832. It looks like my missing credit history is basically getting restored. However, I still can't belive that Equifax is so inept at handling name changes. People change names all the time. It's  not a rare occurrence.    

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Equifax name change horror story

Wow, its good you're tenacious!!  I'm impressed you kept them on the phone as long as you did.  Shameful that they had to re-do it once they finally started correcting the file.  I never thought about the name change ramifications with credit.  I mean people marry every day which results in name changes on their social security cards.  

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 2 of 6
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Four years ago I did a legal name change, via a court order. After that, I got a new social security card (the s.s.n. number remained the same),  a new passport, DL, and updated my name on all of my credit card and bank accounts and on my mortgage account that I had at the time. When I asked the credit card companies if I needed to to anything regarding updating my name with the credit bureaus, they told me "no". They said that they will keep reporting my credit card activity with the same s.s.n. and that the credit bureaus will understand that my name has changed and will add some field like "also known as" in their records. I maintained credit minitoring accounts with Experian and Transunion, and I noticed that they did just that with my credit file. However, as I found out later, Equifax did not. Over the period of four years all of my active credit cards have been reissued under my new name and eventually with new account numbers as well. In several cases (Citi and Barclays) the banks at some point changed the account numbers themselves, and with Chase I had some unauthorized transaction at some point show up and the card had to be cancelled and re-issued with a new account number for security reasons. As it turned out all these years my Equifax credit score was slowly going down due to inactivity. Right now I am in the process of buying an apartment. When I applied for a mortgage pre-approval, this issue came to light. The lender pulled my Equifax credit report and it came back with NO score at all. The lender called the Equifax business customer support and eventually was told something to the effect that my credit file went dormant due to lack of recent activity and that's why there was no score. At the same time my scores from Experian and Transunion were around 833, 834.

I then signed up with MyEquifax for their credit monitoring service to see what was going on. They showed me some kind of a simulated score of around 675 (!!). Moreover, none of the reissued cards under my new name were shown in the Equifax report and it was only showing  old closed accounts, with one exception (a Discover account that I had not used in several years).

It tool me several days and hours on the phone with Equifax to get them to update my name. I had to provide them a ton of documents through their online dispute center. I had to talk to several supervisors since regular customer service reps there are almost completely useless. The supervisors are not much better. Their first attempt to change my name was done incorrectly: They changed the first name but not the last name and produced a weird hybrid. I had to call again, and eventually they did change my name to the correct one. BUT they neglected to add my previous name under "also known as"/"other names". So the next time I logged in and my credit report refreshed, my entire credit history disappered! The credit report was completely blank! Several more hours on the phone and they re-added my former name under  "also known as"/"other names". My credit history came back. Then suddenly my (simulated) Equifax credit score jumped to 761, presumably because of the credit inquiries by the mortage lender. The lender tried to pull the report again, and it came back to him with a score, this time 775. I made a small charge to that Discover card and then two of the credit cards that I actively use (Barclays and Citi) posted their monthly statements, with small balances, $9 and $39, and they also showed up back on my Equifax report. The Citi Mastercard account is one of my older accounts, 26+ years, and as of now the simulated (shown to me) Equifax credit score is 832. It looks like my missing credit history is basically getting restored. However, I still can't belive that Equifax is so inept at handling name changes. People change names all the time. It's  not a rare occurrence.    

@Anonymous  Wow! You definitely should have put Horror Story in the title of your post.  Oh Wait...You Did!

Hate you had to go through this but at least it is turning out right for you.  With those scores it is apparent that you have worked hard over the years to excel in your creditworthiness.

Message 3 of 6
YaDy

I had a somewhat similar situation but thankfully I was on top of it. Transunion was the quickest and within a month the new name was listed on there. After 3 months nothing new was showing for Experian or Equifax. I had to have them dispute my name and send them copies of the court decree and my new drivers license and social security card. Experian updated like 2 days after that and magically all my inquiries (I had a lit because I bought a couple cars at dealerships and they love to hit you with like 20 inquiries each time) vanished. 

Equifax still decided to drag their feet. 30 days passed since submitting the dispute and they still did nothing. I had to call them up and have the phone rep submit another dispute (they never closed out the first one even to this day) and then they still were dragging their feet. The next phone call the rep could see that I had previously uploaded all the information and they manually updated my name while I was on the phone. 

Hate to see what it would have been like if I were trying to make a large time sensitive purchase and notice that they hadn't done anything. 

Message 4 of 6
ACN323
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous So sorry to hear you had to go through this! I've been married for 8 years, but still haven't legally changed my name through SS. I'm a procrastinator lol and my husband does all of our financial stuff anyways. My credit cards etc. credit info etc. are all my maiden name still and after reading this, I think they'll just have to stay that way. Kudos to you, for your persistence with Equifax. Shame they couldn't handle a name change! 

Started at 490 in Dec.18’'
EX8 740 EQ 756 TU 753
Discover IT $4.7k
Apple Card $2.5k
Amex BCE $10k
Amex Delta Gold $15k
Citi LL Bean $5.4k
Synch Adorama $2k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $8.4k
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing your name chage experience, YaDy. I don't remember by now how quickly TransUnion and Experian updated my information but I definitely didn't have to do anything. No information was lost on either of those two reports, and when I login to my credit monitoring accounts there and look up my credit reports, they both show my former name under "also known as". Equifax on the other hand ...

With my pending mortage application, I did not have the luxury of waiting a month or longer after I discovered the Equifax problem and ultimately I was able to fix the issue within a week. But the experience was still extremely unpleasant and it took an ungodly amout of time on the phone and what seemed like an infinite number of phone calls. The automated phone system at Equifax really sucks big time. It chokes up and drops calls all the time and my calls were dropped lots of times even after being transferred. The only good thing I'll say about them is that  once you open an Eqiufax credit monitoring account, one can file a dispute online and submit supporting documents online too. I was able to do that with the documents regarding my name change and ultimately I managed to get through to a supervisor who looked up those documents using the dispute case number. Of course, that very same supervisor neglected to add my former name as "also known as" name when he did the change and for a while I had no credit history at all in Equifax. The person who ultimately fixed that error was a regular customer service rep, not a supervisor. Their entire operation struck me as a giant disorganized and incompetent mess.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.