cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax says they don't have record on me. What are my next steps?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax says they don't have record on me. What are my next steps?

Hi,

Recently I tried to get my credit reports from 3 bureaus by using annualcreditreport.com.

I was able to get reports online from TransUnion and Experian. But for Equifax they requested to send proof of my identity.

After sending all necessary docs and 5 painful calls to Equifax support I reached superviser who told me that they don't have record assoicated with my SSN.

They suggested me to contact my credit card company and make sure they report my data to Equifax.

I called to AmEx (where I have credit card for last 2 years) and they confirmed they send my info to Equifax.

Additional info:

I moved to United States 3 years ago with working visa. Couple of weeks ago I received green card. I have 4 credit cards from different banks and auto loan. All of these accounts are presented in TransUnion and Experian reports.

About two and a half years ago I opened account on CreditKarma.com and was able to see my scores from TransUnion and Equifax. In 6 months after opening account Equifax score disappeared from CreditKarma. I didn't pay attention at that time. But now I want to apply for mortgage and as I know most of lenders requires reports from 3 bureaus.

Questiion:
What is my next move?

PS. I found couple of related topics on this forum but all of them outdated.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Equifax says they don't have record on me. What are my next steps?

Did you have a social security number when you opened the accounts? Verify with your creditor's that they are reporting to Equifax based on your social security number.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Figuring out the timeline of events is important.  Here are some of the important milestones:

June 2014: You move to the US

Dec 2014: You sign up at Credit Karma and see scores for both EQ and TU.

June 2015: Your EQ score at Karma disappears.

May 2017: You get a green card

Questions:

Did you ever pull your credit reports for EQ and TU with Karma?  If so, do you have any copies of those reports from that six-month period (before your EQ score disappared)?

When did you open each of the four credit cards that you have now?  When did you open the auto loan?  Is the information on your TU and EX reports correct?

Do you have a SSN?  If so, when did you obtain the SSN?  When you opened each of the five accounts, did you use the SSN as part of the application process?  What kind of ID number did you have between June 2014 and July 2015?

Call each of the five creditors and find out exactly what pieces of identifying information they use when they are reporting to the three credit bureaus:

First name, middle, last name (exact spelling used)

Street address, City, State, Zip, (exact spelling)

SSN or anything like that (exact numbers they use)

Birthdate (again what exactly do they use)

Also confirm that all five report to EQ.

You don't need to tell us any of this (and in fact should not).  But you need to put together a careful case history of all this information so that you can help the customer service reps at Equifax help you best. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for useful reply.
Yes, I have SSN. I used my SSN to apply for all credit cards and auto loan.
I didn't pull credit report from CreditKarma, I just was able to see my Equifax score.

I will definitely communicate with every creditor to make sure all of information they report is correct.

But I also want to prepare to worst case scenario where all creditors send correct information but Equifax still not able to find my record (I found a lot of topics where people describe exactly the same situation with no solution).
I wonder if there is any standard legal procedure I should use to resolve it?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to solve issue with Equifax by submitting complaint to Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.  

Link to their website: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/getting-started/

As response to complaint Equifax mailed my credit report which contained all my creditors records.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax is screwing up many of our credit reports. We all need to file a complaint:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Equifax-reporting-problems/td-p/4882672

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.