Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax updated the wrong file

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax updated the wrong file

So, I arrived in the US as a permanent resident (and got a social security card etc) but TU and Equifax has the wrong date of birth for me (assume the SS number wasn’t wiped properly when it was recycled). TU updated the information without a hitch but Equifax has been a total pain.

This is what’s happened to date:

1. I called to find out the process and was advised to fax a copy of my driving license in. Sent fax number 1.
  2. Called back to see if they received it and was told they hadn’t and to send in two forms of ID.
  3. Sent the fax with two forms of Government-issued ID
  4. Received a letter (generated from the original fax) to say that their investigation has updated my file but they have updated the wrong file (different middle name and social security number)
  5. Called and kept on hold for 1hr and 30 minutes (waiting for consumer affairs) but told they wouldn’t speak to me until I send it my social security card.
  6. Fax number 3 with driving license and social security card.

So, leaving aside Equifax has a horrible customer service process and fairly inept people manning their line, I have fairly low confidence that this issue is going to be resolved.

Has anyone else had this trouble? Did it get resolved?

3 REPLIES 3
JVille
Valued Contributor

Re: Equifax updated the wrong file

Social Security numbers are NOT recycled. They are single use as in Never used before and won’t EVER be used again. Just FYI
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Its really good to know. That 2 different agencies had the wrong DOB is even more puzzling then!

Message 3 of 4
JVille
Valued Contributor

Are the inaccurate dates due to confusion between the European style of dates vs US style of writing the date.
ie. 25 Jan 2018 vs Jan 25 2018

Just a thought!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.