Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax

I have several inaccuracies on my equifax credit report (social security number, addresses, phone numbers, past employers, dob) and I wasn't really bothered by it. Almost nothing is reported correctly to equifax anyways. The majority of my collections are not on there, and my school loans are reported as closed as well. (even though they are still open and being paid) I decided last night that I wanted to at least have my dob of birth correct on the report, so I got in to there dispute page and I got in but my computer bugged out and forced restarted, and now I can't get in again. Through a little bit of searching I seen someone on here say you can only access a report for dispute once every 30 days... please tell me that is incorrect? I feel like it doesn't make sense to only be able to access a report once every 30 days to dispute something, but I am 100% entering my information correctly and it keeps saying they can't locate my file now.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

Re: Equifax

While you may be able to dispute several items at once, each bureau allows one dispute in process for 30 days. I'm unclear as if you had actually initiated a dispute, but I would call Equifax to clear that up and while on the phone also make the changes to your report. I have never personally contacted Equifax. Experian was a simple phone call. You will need to verbally supply all of your personal information to the rep. I emphasize ALL. It would be beneficial to you to actually have all inaccuracies corrected on your report, if your credit matters to you.

Edit: it would appear yours wasn't an isolated incident;
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Equifax-s-Online-Dispute-Portal-Not-Working/m...

Message 2 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wow, i know i have something id like to take off my report as it isnt mine but im too scared to try with Eq as they are so disfunctional they might end up splitting up my file in 5 piecesSmiley Wink. But you have alot of inaccuracies and the biggies too like dob and social. I would definetely print up the paperwork and go through the mail and try and get everything fixed cuz those biggie discrepancies are going to haunt you on future applications
Message 3 of 16
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

@AJC

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. ☝🏽

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Wow, i know i have something id like to take off my report as it isnt mine but im too scared to try with Eq as they are so disfunctional they might end up splitting up my file in 5 piecesSmiley Wink. But you have alot of inaccuracies and the biggies too like dob and social. I would definetely print up the paperwork and go through the mail and try and get everything fixed cuz those biggie discrepancies are going to haunt you on future applications

That is what I am worried about doing any disputes with them. I do not want it to be anymore messed up then it already is, and I do not trust them to be able to fix it. I don't think I would trust doing it via mail either, I am way to paranoid about something happening, so I need to do it via online dispute. I think I am just going to have to wait 30 days, which is ridiculous to say the least, but it doesn't seem like it will let me in. Actually I just realized I could buy a report, would that allow me to dispute or no?

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SoCalifornia wrote:
While you may be able to dispute several items at once, each bureau allows one dispute in process for 30 days. I'm unclear as if you had actually initiated a dispute, but I would call Equifax to clear that up and while on the phone also make the changes to your report. I have never personally contacted Equifax. Experian was a simple phone call. You will need to verbally supply all of your personal information to the rep. I emphasize ALL. It would be beneficial to you to actually have all inaccuracies corrected on your report, if your credit matters to you.

Edit: it would appear yours wasn't an isolated incident;
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Equifax-s-Online-Dispute-Portal-Not-Working/m...

I have not initiated any disputes as of yet, unless filling out the form and my computer restarting counts. I was technically in the dispute process but I never submitted a dispute, so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to do it. However I am not sure calling would work in this case, in the thread I read they said you can only do a dispute once in 30 days and they listed it is the same if you call in for disputes. So I think I am screwed and have to wait 30 days.

Message 6 of 16
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

@BrokenCredit
Something's wonky. You must agree before a dispute can be in progress, therefore, you must not have a valid dispute open. In which case, I would think calling in would actually be your next step, to verify if there is a dispute in progress, and if not- let the representative guide you through the dispute process.

I can understand your distrust. However, calling has been a quick and easy resolution for myself in the past. I'm certain others could attest to this as well. They may have you fax items to clear up identity validation questions, to that, I'm not sure. But, I definitely wouldn't sit on my hands for 30 days to find out one way or another.

Then you'd just be 30 days behind moving forward. Your call.

Message 7 of 16
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Good grief, Equifax is a little screwy indeed.  I just posted how I paid for a 3B report with an open account listed as "closed".  Now I'm looking through posts here and they (Equifax) seems to have a lot of squirrels running amuck.  Fantastic!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry you are having to deal with EQ.  They are certainly a pain in the rump to deal with even for a minor hiccup let alone a blunder such as yours.  I agree with going the route that mailing everything in is best that way should you need to involve your State Attorney General and/or the CFPB, that will make the next step a lot easier. 
Best of luck!

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

Good grief, Equifax is a little screwy indeed.  I just posted how I paid for a 3B report with an open account listed as "closed".  Now I'm looking through posts here and they (Equifax) seems to have a lot of squirrels running amuck.  Fantastic!

I had the same thing happen to me, I bought an equifax report through creditworks premium and it listed all my loans as closed, and only 2 of credit cards were listed. They couldn't do anything about it though when I asked them for help. They just blamed experian and experian blamed equifax. I don't care about any of that information being wrong though, I only care about my birthday being correct. I might care about the social but probably not, I have the wrong social listed on experian as well and it was so much of a hassle to get it updated to the correct one when I  tried last year that I gave up on it.

I tried calling them this morning and they couldn't get it to identify me, (even though the information I gave is 100% correct) and told me I should do it through mail as there online dispute page is having technical difficulties.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.