Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eviction on Record that isn't mine

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eviction on Record that isn't mine

5 Months ago I noticed an eviction reporting on all 3 bureaus for a $16,000+ eviction to a luxury apartment complex in a city / state I have never lived in. I called the collector, they seemed friendly and asked me to send in my proof of identity to check if the account was mine or fraudulent. I politely refused to do that explaining they needed to verify the account based off the information they had in their file. The man agreed and started their internal dispute process. Approx. 1 month later it came back as verified with all bureaus. I called them back and another person had my account. He said my file was a bit different as they didn't have a signature or a hand filled application, rather an online application and no copy of an I.D of any sort.

At this point I disputed the item with all 3 bureaus directly. Each time it came back verified a month later. I did this repeatedly, on the fourth time, TransUnion and Equifax deleted the item. Experian seems to refuse to do so.

How am I to get this item off my report as the automated dispute process seems to be failing to catch this error?

I have sent letters to Experian, however they always respond with a generic letter saying they can't verify my identity, which might be tied to the fact that I have never been married and according to their system, have a spouse and more than 4 "other names".

Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated!

Mike

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Eviction on Record that isn't mine

Wow that's terrible... Sounds like it's time for a lawyer. 

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Once you have disputed and received an investigation and verification, you can bring civil action based on a lack of reasonable investigation.

I would advise filing a civil action.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice Robert. I will consider that option.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.