cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exactly what is verification with public record?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly what is verification with public record?

I received a phone call from Nordstrom regarding the issue of unable to verify my information with public record.  The account is now frozen.  I will need to mail in copy of my ID, SS #, and utility or paystub.  This account was opened back in August of 2017.  I got a CLI of $ 1500 couple of days ago.  The SL now is at $ 1800.  My wife used the card twice, once in September and the second time was in October.  Both were PIF.  What I'm confused about is why the sudden verification and also exactly what is public record?  Maybe someone can help clear this for me because I couldn't get a clear answer from the rep.  I understand if this is a new account but it has been opened for almost 4 months with usage and payments and now they decide to do verification.  BTW, the requested info has to be mailed it.  I cannot be faxed or emailed.  Who actually mails stuff nowadays anyway unless it's with the CA.  Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Exactly what is verification with public record?

They are asking you to verify who you are as they are unable to match you to public records which may list things like addresses, phone numbers, age, relatives, etc... or there is a discrepency between what was on your app and those records.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply K.  So exactly what is this public record info anyway?  Just checked my CR from all three agencies and it seems to be correct.  Is there a way I can find out what is on my public record just to make sure it has the correct info?  Thanks

Message 3 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

There’s no one place to find them. In addition to the 3 main credit bureaus, there are countless other credit reporting agencies and other places that mine and sell information. Public records could be court documents, census records, mailing lists that you’ve been on, and lots more. If you’ve ever had security questions come up asking what kind of car you have had, which one of these streets did you live on when you were 2 years old, which of these people are you related to, etc. that’s coming from public records somewhere.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

A biggy for public records is Lexis Nexis (just pulled mine and they have more info on me than any of the credit bureaus - unreal and the insurance companies love them). Another biggy is Innovis. You may want to obtain free copies from them. Prepare yourself for what you find. Mine was like 52 pages long. Also Sage Stream like to collect public info.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
A biggy for public records is Lexis Nexis (just pulled mine and they have more info on me than any of the credit bureaus - unreal and the insurance companies love them). Another biggy is Innovis. You may want to obtain free copies from them. Prepare yourself for what you find. Mine was like 52 pages long. Also Sage Stream like to collect public info.

@Anonymous 

Is this report something you obtain online? When I called in for the Ritz, Chase asked me for my parent's dob and my brother's name. I was shocked at how much they knew. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Already sent out a request to Lexis Nexis.  Will look into Innovis later on tonight.  I'm very interested to see what's on the public records.  All these times, I just assume it was the information listed on the credit report.  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.