Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Credit Lock

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian Credit Lock

Hey everyone. I have Experian CreditWorks Premium, and have been using it for my three bureau monitoring. I keep getting a popup asking me to enable the Experian Credit Lock. I understand this locks my credit report from unauthorized inquiries. I'm just curious if anybody uses it. Does it work well? Is it easy enough to disable when you want to apply for credit? Any experiences good and bad would be great. Thanks.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Re: Experian Credit Lock

The Experian lock feature is incredibly easy and quick to use. Just hold the button a few seconds to lock it. If you change your mind, do it again. If it’s locked, you’ll get a notification if someone is trying to access your credit file.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLEXH25 wrote:
The Experian lock feature is incredibly easy and quick to use. Just hold the button a few seconds to lock it. If you change your mind, do it again. If it’s locked, you’ll get a notification if someone is trying to access your credit file.

Thanks @KLEXH25. Once you click to unlock it, is it instant? Or do you have to wait a certain amount of time? 

Message 3 of 17
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

It’s instant...within seconds. I just tried it too lol.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome. Thanks for the information.

Message 5 of 17
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I can confirm the lock/unlock is instant. I was in a BBVA  bank branch last Monday and the teller really sold me on applying for their Rewards card. I unlocked EX on my phone and as soon as I told her "OK, it's unlocked" she clicked her Apply button and it went through fine (approved for $6k!)

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

I can confirm the lock/unlock is instant. I was in a BBVA  bank branch last Monday and the teller really sold me on applying for their Rewards card. I unlocked EX on my phone and as soon as I told her "OK, it's unlocked" she clicked her Apply button and it went through fine (approved for $6k!)

Thanks @DaveInAZ. This is exactly what I need to know. 

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this lock/unlock free? 

What is the distinction between lock & freeze?

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this lock/unlock free? 

What is the distinction between lock & freeze?

Experian CreditLock is not free. It comes as a feature of the paid credit monitoring service. Unlike a security freeze, you don't need a PIN to initiate a lock or unlock. It is in real time as others have mentioned, and can be done right from the Experian app. 

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually found this link from Experian which explains the differences. If this helps anyone else...

Difference Between CreditLock and Security Freeze

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.