cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Old Addresses - Any tips to remove?

tag
vermontcred

Experian Old Addresses - Any tips to remove?

Hello, I am having trouble removing old addresses from Experian.

These are tied to old inactive and closed accounts. 

If I call the creditor and update the information, do they need to send a letter to bureaus?

I called Wells Fargo on one today and they updated it but said they can't send a letter?

It still shows the account tied to old address today.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Experian Old Addresses - Any tips to remove?

@vermontcred wrote:

If I call the creditor and update the information, do they need to send a letter to bureaus?

I called Wells Fargo on one today and they updated it but said they can't send a letter?

The old addresses are a matter of public record and I doubt there is much you can do to expunge them; some of my reports have addresses dating back to the 1990s, decades before I had to declare bankruptcy, and honestly, I could care less.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 13
markbeiser
Established Contributor

It could be worse, you could have 2 middle names, and have had your last name misspelled by a creditor long ago, so 5 varriations of your name show up on credit reports!😏

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 3 of 13
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@markbeiser wrote:

It could be worse, you could have 2 middle names, and have had your last name misspelled by a creditor long ago, so 5 varriations of your name show up on credit reports!😏

Yeah, one of my credit reports has an alias which is more or less my name with a completely fractured spelling.  It hasn't impacted me so I haven't bothered challenging it.

Message 4 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@vermontcred wrote:

I don't think you can get that removed. It's part of your history.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 13
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Any old information that is no longer relevant, or accurate such as old addresses, old employers, old phone numbers and incorrect names, or aliases can be removed from your reports by filing a dispute with each credit bureau.

Most of these items can be corrected online by filing a dispute. However, depending on the item, and particular credit bureau, they might require, or ask you to submit supporting documents by mail. 

For example: (using TU since they are the most clear about it) Things such as old addresses, employers and phone numbers can be done online but, for correct name, DOB, SSN, or adding a new address they'll require documents to be sent by mail.

Note: Old addresses can be removed from your report, even if they are correct, as long as they're not currently associated with any of your accounts. If they are, no soup for you.

I did this to remove old addresses, employers and Aliases (mostly my oft butchered last name), several years ago when I was cleaning up my reports but I honestly don't remember anyone asking for any documents (that doesn't mean they didn't, I just don't remember) YEMV. 

Message 6 of 13
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@JoeRockhead, the point is, old addresses are a matter of public record, even if you take them off a specific credit report, other search platforms will continue to have them.  Taking them off a credit report will serve no purpose. 

Message 7 of 13
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

@Horseshoez You're indeed right about that. I'd be willing to say there's really no point in it as there are many other records that would make this information available. I'd also say that IDK what the pitfalls might be to having specifically old addresses reported.

I'm sure someone could point out the repercussions, perceived, or real, of the various invasions and assaults on the sanctity of our personal information. Many things don't make sense but some people want to do them just because it makes them feel better. 

The OP was asking about removing them from credit reports, which is possible, so I was letting them know it can be done. I fully get your (and others') point.   

Message 8 of 13
Spotsy
Frequent Contributor

Careful when using the term 'Public Record' with CRAs and the information they manage...that is not 'Public Record',' but needs to be accurate.  The old addresses should be classified as 'previous addresses' and are important pieces of info that creditors use. Just as the infamous 'known aliases' which is usually riddled with errors and misspellings.   I usually focus on keeping that clean, along with past addresses that need to actually be a past address.  I do see the value to clearing out old addresses to help prevent fraud though.

Delayed a closing on a house by 45 days cleaning up an issue with 'Known Aliases' section of a CR.  The title company and mortgage company wanted me to sign a doc acknowledging ALL the 'Known Aliases' as factual...which I refused.  Neither of us would budge and closing was delayed till all was cleared up. 

FICO 8: TU:831 / EQ:837 / EX:827 as of 12/25/2023
Message 9 of 13
Ceewin
Regular Contributor

I used this form to update/remove address(es) on Experian. The web address is experian.com/upload.  I would call and confirm, first. You can also ask about processing time.  It took about 30-days for me. Screen shots below. The dropdown options for page/step 2 are: 

• Support Docs for My Dispute 
  • Proof of Identity - Request Credit Report
  • Police Report - Identity Theft
  • Other
  • Reseller

Experian 2.JPGExperian 3.JPG

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.