Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Service/Freeze problems

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Experian Service/Freeze problems

Move over Equifax, Experian is the clear leader in the CRA I hate the most. Smiley Mad

I've kept my credit reports locked since the EQ data breach, I prefer locking with a service from each CRA over freezing for the ease & instant unlocking. Transunion & Equifax both provide a free service for locking & unclocking, TrueIdentity and Lock & Alert, repectively. Experian is the only cheap SoB to not offer a free locking service. So I had an EX IdentityWorks Core service for some time, only $5.99/mo. with lock/unlock and a EX Fico 8 monthly, more then enough for me as I get a free monthly EX Fico8 from Amex & Discover Scorecard. Well, last month I foolishly tried the CreditCheckTotal $1 trial and Experian removed my IdentityWorks plan with CCT's plan, so I immediately canceled that.

Well the cancellation went into effect yesterday which unlocked my EX report as it converted my plan to the free "CreditWorks Basic" which gives a fee EX Fico8 score once a month but no lock/unlock. So I went shopping on Experian. They no longer offer IDWorks "core" product, so I decided I'd do the IDWorks Plus plan for $9.99/mo. They won't sell it to me! When I enter my info it recognizes that I have a "CreditWorks Basic" plan and demands that I log into that. When I log in the only "upgrade" they'll offer me is to "CreditWorks Premium" for $24.99/mo. Daily EX Fico score and lock/unlock. I don't need or want a daily EX score and I absolutely refuse to pay Experian 25 bucks a month. Smiley Frustrated

So, I decide that I'll just place a freeze on EX. https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html

I enter my info carefully and it know it's correct, and I get: "Unable to place freeze". They claim they can't place a freeze "based on the info" I provided, and demand I mail them a letter requesting the freeze, providing all my personal info AND a copy of my DL and Utility bill. I think I can reasonably believe they refuse to place a freeze because they see my history of Experian service plans and continue to try to force to buy one of their overpriced, unnecessary plans. Now more than ever: That is NOT going to happen.  Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Experian Service/Freeze problems

One obvious solution would be to cancel my free CreditWorks Basic service. Nope, when I log in and click "manage my plan" the only option is to upgrade to their Premium $24.99/mo. plan. I suppose I could call Experian and get them to cancel the Basic plan, but recalling the last time I tried to get a live person at Experian, I'd almost rather go through a root canal.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can't cancel the basic plan either. 

The easiest way around this is to grab the Experian app, choose My Account, and choose Manage Membership. 

2F804515-06C7-4566-8265-59F634DB6ED3.jpeg

It runs even cheaper too. Experian charges $5 more for each plan on their website. 

Message 3 of 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The easiest way around this is to grab the Experian app, choose My Account, and choose Manage Membership. 

It runs even cheaper too. Experian charges $5 more for each plan on their website. 

Thanks so much! It looks like Experian is now playing "Let's Make A Deal!". Downloaded the Android app, but got a security question wrong so I had to log into my web account to change my answer and now it is offering an upgrade to CreditWorks Plus for only $14.99/mo. Then I got logged into the app and the offer is there for CreditWorks Plus for $19.99/mo., but they want $9.99/mo. for the CreditWorks - that's the one I want and $4.99/mo. I'm willing to pay. I'll keep checking every day or so and see if I get the offer/price I want.

BTW, @Anonymous - I remember that you don't file taxes as you don't need to. You might to check out this thread: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/IRS-Soft-Pull/td-p/5958724

I file but I don't have any fed tax liability. So I created an IRS account and paid $.01 cent on my 2020 taxes in hopes that gives the IRS my bank info for direct deposit of the stimulus money, which is supposed to be weeks faster than if they have to mail you a check.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks so much! It looks like Experian is now playing "Let's Make A Deal!". Downloaded the Android app, but got a security question wrong so I had to log into my web account to change my answer and now it is offering an upgrade to CreditWorks Plus for only $14.99/mo. Then I got logged into the app and the offer is there for CreditWorks Plus for $19.99/mo., but they want $9.99/mo. for the CreditWorks - that's the one I want and $4.99/mo. I'm willing to pay. I'll keep checking every day or so and see if I get the offer/price I want.

BTW, @Anonymous - I remember that you don't file taxes as you don't need to. You might to check out this thread: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/IRS-Soft-Pull/td-p/5958724

I file but I don't have any fed tax liability. So I created an IRS account and paid $.01 cent on my 2020 taxes in hopes that gives the IRS my bank info for direct deposit of the stimulus money, which is supposed to be weeks faster than if they have to mail you a check.

It's so stupid that Experian is allowed to charge people for the lock feature. I have the same issue with trying to get them to freeze my report. 

As for the IRS, they're using SSA records to direct deposit for social security recipients. https://blog.ssa.gov/commissioner-of-social-security-shares-update-about-covid-19-economic-impact-payments-for-beneficiaries/ 

Message 5 of 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Ah, you're on top of things! I wasn't sure that applied to me as I get retirement SS + part-time work and file every year to get my state income tax refund. But as I have no Fed tax owed or refund the lines on my 1040 for bank account info was x'd out

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Ah, you're on top of things! I wasn't sure that applied to me as I get retirement SS + part-time work and file every year to get my state income tax refund. But as I have no Fed tax owed or refund the lines on my 1040 for bank account info was x'd out

It's possible that your situation could change things. This whole thing is very confusing. If they're smart, anyone with a SSA-1099 will automatically be processed through the Treasury since that would mean the vast majority of those recipients would have a direct deposit on record. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotta make sure the info you put in the credit freeze app that you see on your account when you log in. Their system is pretty perticular. It is easier to call in this case but it is possible but a hassle to get the experian credit freezer online. They should just intergrate it into the account when you log in but they wanna trick people into paying for the convenience of immedietly locking their account. Another way they get you to pay for their service.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.