Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO shot up 100 points?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO shot up 100 points?!

Long time lurker, first time poster. This was too crazy not to share. Here's the Cliff's Notes version of my story:

2008 - had a bunch of unsecured credit cards become delinquent due to job loss

2009 - settled them for less than full amount with collections agencies

2010 - got a secured BoA Visa ($500)

2012 - applied for a few cards, rejected for all, so avoided applying for a while

2014 - got approved for a Discover ($1200 CLI)

2015 - charge-offs started falling off my report, and FICO started slowly increasing 

2016 - used Discover CLI button 3 times, getting a 50% increase each time

Last month - last charge-off fell off my report

This month - FICO shot up from 677 to 779!

Here's a link if you want to see the score over the past year.

I can't really contribute much advice beyond what's already discussed here (never miss a payment, keep utilization low, and dispute the baddies like crazy). But I had to share this because it's a fantastic visualization of where the journey can take you. Next stop, 800's!

EDIT: Just realized I may have posted this to the wrong forum, so mods feel free to relocate if appropriate. Heck of a start Smiley Very Happy

9 REPLIES 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: FICO shot up 100 points?!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your success

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

CONGRATULATIONS! I enjoyed reading your Cliff Notes. I could have read more! Nicely done! Way to go! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Long time lurker, first time poster. This was too crazy not to share. Here's the Cliff's Notes version of my story:

2008 - had a bunch of unsecured credit cards become delinquent due to job loss

2009 - settled them for less than full amount with collections agencies

2010 - got a secured BoA Visa ($500)

2012 - applied for a few cards, rejected for all, so avoided applying for a while

2014 - got approved for a Discover ($1200 CLI)

2015 - charge-offs started falling off my report, and FICO started slowly increasing 

2016 - used Discover CLI button 3 times, getting a 50% increase each time

Last month - last charge-off fell off my report

This month - FICO shot up from 677 to 779!

Here's a link if you want to see the score over the past year.

I can't really contribute much advice beyond what's already discussed here (never miss a payment, keep utilization low, and dispute the baddies like crazy). But I had to share this because it's a fantastic visualization of where the journey can take you. Next stop, 800's!

EDIT: Just realized I may have posted this to the wrong forum, so mods feel free to relocate if approprite. Heck of a start Smiley Very Happy

Congratulations!!  Hard work and honesty always pays off!! Keep up the good work!!

Message 4 of 10
Bman70
Established Contributor

Congrats! That's always a great moment when the last baddies fall off. It also emphasizes how much one derog can keep down your score. The Discover CLIs probably helped too, since they dropped your overall utilization dramatically. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the jump ! It feels happier when you do all the right things and reap the rewards.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nicely done!! Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 10
EW800
Valued Contributor

Congratulations!!   Very happy for you!    Smiley Happy

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 8 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the success!!.100 is a big move.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 10
surferchris
Valued Contributor

Congrats

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.