cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up with Synchrony's reporting

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Frequent Contributor

Synchrony Reporting Weirdness

I'm sure it's been fussed about a good bit already, but I'm going to toss in my experience. Looking over my Experian report, I noticed my PPCBMC had a reported balance of $188. Not horrible, already pif as well, didn't think much of it. Then I thought of something, my last statement was not that high...

Took a look in, my last statement was for $143.24... my previous statement was for $44.65... Instead of reporting the new statement balance, they seemed to have just tacked it on. Adding those two gets me $187.89, rounded up to the $188 on my latest reports. It makes my uti 6.26% on that card, 2% overall. Not worried about it yet, but I'm going to try a zero on it when the statement rolls to see what happens.

Anyone else get this particular oddness?
$1,000 is a lot to owe, yet little to have.
Credit Cards

Debit Cards




Message 41 of 50
Super Contributor

Re: Synchrony Reporting Weirdness

They reported my statement plus pending balance last month, artificially inflating my utilization. 

 

I am really not a fan of Synchrony’s reporting habits and I have complained a few times about it. 



01/2019:
10/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards: Cash+, Freedom.
Message 42 of 50
Senior Contributor

Re: Synchrony Reporting Weirdness


@Saeren wrote:

They reported my statement plus pending balance last month, artificially inflating my utilization. 

 

I am really not a or a fan of Synchrony’s reporting habits and I have complained a few times about it. 


Reporting a double balance would make me lose my mind.   
I assume that reporting is automated.  I wonder what/how many low level code-monkey(s) managed to creat the hot mess that is their reporting program.

Nov 2019


Garden goal: keep on keepin' on
Usually a faithful practitioner of AZE5or6or7; working on AZE1or2 and grumbling about it.
Message 43 of 50
Super Contributor

Re: Synchrony Reporting Weirdness


@calyx wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

They reported my statement plus pending balance last month, artificially inflating my utilization. 

 

I am really not a or a fan of Synchrony’s reporting habits and I have complained a few times about it. 


Reporting a double balance would make me lose my mind.   
I assume that reporting is automated.  I wonder what/how many low level code-monkey(s) managed to creat the hot mess that is their reporting program.


The way that this happened, the pending balance was added later that day so it shows as subtracted from my total on my statement as well but not in the amount due. It’s not something that should happen every month and it’s technically accurate since those pending charges were going to post, it was just a bit frustrating to see it on my report but not on my statement. 

 

Synchrony also has reported multiple times a month before for me which worked out well on my Amazon Store Card - card added, balance added, zero balance - but it burned me on PayPal which ended up reporting a balance after they added it to my report and then didn’t 0 it out. 

 

It is what it is. I got my card paid to $0 before the bill was due and I’m not using the card this month so hopefully it finally reports 0. 



01/2019:
10/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards: Cash+, Freedom.
Message 44 of 50
Frequent Contributor

Re: Synchrony Reporting Weirdness

I've heard Chase reports 0 when it gets paid. It'd be nice if that was standard practice...
$1,000 is a lot to owe, yet little to have.
Credit Cards

Debit Cards




Message 45 of 50
Super Contributor

Re: Synchrony Reporting Weirdness


@Masterlink wrote:
I've heard Chase reports 0 when it gets paid. It'd be nice if that was standard practice...

This can work against you too though so it’s a double edged sword. People who have Chase cards can’t use one of them for AZEO and if Chase is your first/only, you are constantly taking a hit for all cards at $0. 

 

I am fine with once a month reporting but it needs to be a fixed day, preferably when the statement cuts, and only report what is on the statement. Synchrony and Disco have both reported charges due to post that day on the credit report so I just have to watch it when I have paid. Since there’s a delay between payment and statement (usually 5 days for Disco and 8 for Synchrony for me), I just have to make sure I don’t post any large charges during that time. 



01/2019:
10/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards: Cash+, Freedom.
Message 46 of 50
Frequent Contributor

Re: Synchrony Reporting Weirdness

Synchrony's odd reporting is why I make it my EO. Try to keep uti down, never know when they'll jump the gun.
$1,000 is a lot to owe, yet little to have.
Credit Cards

Debit Cards




Message 47 of 50
Senior Contributor

Re: Synchrony Reporting Weirdness


@Saeren wrote:

@Masterlink wrote:
I've heard Chase reports 0 when it gets paid. It'd be nice if that was standard practice...

This can work against you too though so it’s a double edged sword. People who have Chase cards can’t use one of them for AZEO and if Chase is your first/only, you are constantly taking a hit for all cards at $0. 

 


My partner, who has started watching his FICO after hearing me babble on about it, keeps asking me what's going on with his score.   And of course, it's because his only revolver is Chase.    He's an AU on mine now, and thanks to different reporting times on cycles that should help him out with the 0 revolving problem (that and his utilization).  I have to be patient and remember he's a credit-muggle when he asks me these questions Smiley LOL

Nov 2019


Garden goal: keep on keepin' on
Usually a faithful practitioner of AZE5or6or7; working on AZE1or2 and grumbling about it.
Message 48 of 50
Super Contributor

Re: Synchrony Reporting Weirdness


@Masterlink wrote:
Synchrony's odd reporting is why I make it my EO. Try to keep uti down, never know when they'll jump the gun.

I owe $1142 to NFCU. Once that’s gone, PayPal will be my EO just so I can see what impact it has on my scores but then I’m going to stop worrying about micromanaging my utilization once I do my July spree. 



01/2019:
10/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards: Cash+, Freedom.
Message 49 of 50
Super Contributor

Re: Synchrony Reporting Weirdness


@calyx wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

@Masterlink wrote:
I've heard Chase reports 0 when it gets paid. It'd be nice if that was standard practice...

This can work against you too though so it’s a double edged sword. People who have Chase cards can’t use one of them for AZEO and if Chase is your first/only, you are constantly taking a hit for all cards at $0. 

 


My partner, who has started watching his FICO after hearing me babble on about it, keeps asking me what's going on with his score.   And of course, it's because his only revolver is Chase.    He's an AU on mine now, and thanks to different reporting times on cycles that should help him out with the 0 revolving problem (that and his utilization).  I have to be patient and remember he's a credit-muggle when he asks me these questions Smiley LOL


Credit-muggle! smiley-laughing021.gif

 

Yeah I like the way Disco does it. Reports when they cut the statement, will update report to reflect $0 if you call and ask them to. 



01/2019:
10/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards: Cash+, Freedom.
Message 50 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.