Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud Alert! Watch out for Howl SSL Cloud!!! Chase Slate card Hit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fraud Alert! Watch out for Howl SSL Cloud!!! Chase Slate card Hit

Wanted to give everyone a heads up....make sure to check your accounts for very small charges 

Just seen that I had a $1.82 charge on my Chase Slate account from Howl SSL Cloud on saturday, May 6th. I was a little confused because I thought maybe my 4 yr old daughter made an in-app purchase on my iphone but I didn't recognize the name because I know for sure I wouldn't charge something so small on a credit card. So I called Chase and asked them about it and the rep said it was a computer software service. I immediately told them I have no idea what that was about. They transferred me to the fraud dept. and when they did that I googled the name and seen a few articles about it being a credit card scam. I read some of the comments from others who have been hit and it seems the scammers have been on a spree for the last 2 weeks. When I spoke to the fraud dept, the rep said that I had another purchase for $.60 for google services but chase declined it because it looked suspicious. I am annoyed by the fact that they never contacted me about that to verify if it was me or not which it was clearly not me but it would have been nice to know when it happened. Luckily for me I caught the small charge but for others it seems that they do a test charge for a small amount and then hit the account for larger amounts ($200, $300, $400, etc). Someone who had Wells Fargo said that Wells Fargo told them it was based out of California and was hacked through some kind of online payment system but wouldnt comment further because it is a pending investigation. Chase cancelled my card and is in the process of overnighting my replacement. 

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fraud Alert! Watch our for Howl SSL Cloud!!! Chase Slate card Hit

Similar case for me on my CreditOne CC. $2.30 charged by "HOWL SSL Cloud", I have no clue what it is, and I haven't been using the card since ages.

I just noticed and I was surprised, so I googled it and came across this page. I am going to report it now.

Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Similar case for me on my CreditOne CC. $2.30 charged by "HOWL SSL Cloud", I have no clue what it is, and I haven't been using the card since ages.

I just noticed and I was surprised, so I googled it and came across this page. I am going to report it now.

Make sure to comb through your statements for larger transactions too and anything related to google services. I mention google services because they attempted to hit my account for $.60 after the initial $1.82 went through but chase denied them because it looked suspicious. 

Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I am going through all my transactions now for all cards!
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks, I am going through all my transactions now for all cards!

Good Luck!

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just had it happen today on my Capital One cc. After the first $100+ purchase was made they froze my cc and sent me a fraud alert. Taken care of quickly, but I decided to try to take it a step further. The purchase after HOWL SSL CLOUD, was for an order placed online for glasses. Contacted them and they are also trying to flag it as fraud and stop the transaction. Just hate the idea of the thieves getting what they fraudulently bought, and hope the company doesn't complete the order for them.
Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Just had it happen today on my Capital One cc. After the first $100+ purchase was made they froze my cc and sent me a fraud alert. Taken care of quickly, but I decided to try to take it a step further. The purchase after HOWL SSL CLOUD, was for an order placed online for glasses. Contacted them and they are also trying to flag it as fraud and stop the transaction. Just hate the idea of the thieves getting what they fraudulently bought, and hope the company doesn't complete the order for them.

Happy to hear that they flagged your account immediately. They are pretty quick to make online purchases after the initial test charge goes through. I hate the idea of them getting what they bought too but every online purchase has an address and I hope someone looks into it further by checking these delivery addresses.

Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fraud Alert! Watch out for Howl SSL Cloud!!! Chase Slate card Hit

I do as well. They mentioned they will send me any information they can get from the transaction, but ultimately I just want them denied their order.
Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I do as well. They mentioned they will send me any information they can get from the transaction, but ultimately I just want them denied their order.

Well if you dont mind, it would be helpful for you to share what capitol one tells you if they are able to give you an idea of who the thieves are and how their scam works. It may help the next person. 

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

They couldn't give me much, just that the Howl SSL Cloud was showing Massachusetts. It's the glasses company that are looking into the fraudulent order. Not sure how much info they can or will give me.
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.