Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud Help please!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fraud Help please!

Hi everyone, Yesterday I received yet ANOTHER collection letter that is NOT MINE. I have also recently received a new letter of denial for some sort of GE Cash card... so my credit is STILL being used by someone else. I disputed the collection on the phone, all the guy wanted to do was try to get my "real" info... where do I work, cell number, etc. I asked him if he thought I was stupid or what? Anyway... I asked for the fax# to send a dispute due to ID fraud. (My wallet was stolen about 7 years ago.) How should I write that? Is there a template of that? I am so mad, and I want this to end! Here I am trying to clean up my credit to buy a house, and for every step forward I go, so idiot with my info is undoing it on the other end! Thanks for your help!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fraud Help please!

ATMPEABAKER wrote:
Hi everyone, Yesterday I received yet ANOTHER collection letter that is NOT MINE. I have also recently received a new letter of denial for some sort of GE Cash card... so my credit is STILL being used by someone else. I disputed the collection on the phone, all the guy wanted to do was try to get my "real" info... where do I work, cell number, etc. I asked him if he thought I was stupid or what? Anyway... I asked for the fax# to send a dispute due to ID fraud. (My wallet was stolen about 7 years ago.) How should I write that? Is there a template of that? I am so mad, and I want this to end! Here I am trying to clean up my credit to buy a house, and for every step forward I go, so idiot with my info is undoing it on the other end! Thanks for your help!

So sorry this is happening.

Have you placed Fraud Alerts on each of your reports? If not you can call to do so.

EQ 1-800-525-6285
EX  1-888-397-3742
TU  1-800-680-7289

You can file a police report for the fraudulent account with local police and include that in your dispute. You can also file a complaint with the FTC.

I would pull your reports to see what is going on if you are getting decline notices and collection letters for accounts you did not open. I also would not give the CA your personal information. If they get it and link it to your current info, you will have a harder time getting it removed.

Again, sorry.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the info... and for your sorries. I am just so frusterated! I wanted to make sure I understood you. I can report the collection letters, and letter of denial in a police report?
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, report the letter's, call's... anything that is not yours to the police so it can be documented.

Certainly send a complaint ASAP to the FTC. I would request your reports now so you can look at what is currently being reported. I would start with the police and FTC before the collection agency.

Get these done first, maybe it/they can be deleted without the CA getting MORE information of yours.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you think I should word that letter of complaint to the FTC? Is there a template? And is there contact for them? Thank you!
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

ATMPEABAKER wrote:
How do you think I should word that letter of complaint to the FTC? Is there a template? And is there contact for them? Thank you!

Click on this link. It will bring you to the FTC site.

Click on the consumer's tab and down the line it will say "file a complaint with the FTC"

There isn't a form letter. You will have to input the information in the boxes. Now that I read more of it, looks like the police report will come in handy first. It has a section you can fill out about the police report. Hopefully it will help you get it resolved as soon as possible.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're very welcome.

Hopefully that will get you started. I am sure between the agencies involved, they will do their best to help you.

I don't think the FTC plays around with this!! Good Luck!
Message 8 of 13
creditdream
Frequent Contributor

Hi  ATMPEABAKER  i am so sorry for what you are going thro right now,and i am willing to share my wife story with you hopefully it will help you,and the others  . Smiley Happy
my wife and i were going thro the same problem  last 5 years when we went for vacation in  SEATTLE ,WA where she lost her purse .
Anyway she report the accident & she get a police report also she call her banks to let them know the lost of her purse when she found out her cards were already been used  for $$$ . Smiley Mad
We thought the problem is end here ,but couple years later my wife decide to open store credit department account ,but she get surprise when she get declined because she has a bad credit .
Finally when she check her report  (1) she find out that she has so many accounts with FRED MEYER,AT&T CABLE,PROVIDIAN BANK ,.............AND THEY ARE IN BAD SHAPES .
(2) the address of the person who was using her name  was in KENT,WA ,and she never ever been living there or in that city and so on................
So she dispute all those account as a fraud victim,and we went to social security dep trying to get a new ssn# because of the misused .  ( they refuse to do that ) . 
SO THIS IS MY ADVISED TO YOU MY DEAR  (1)  PLACED A FRAUD ALERTS ON YOUR FILE TO PREVENT ANY MORE DAMAGE TO YOUR CREDIT HISTORY .  (2) CHECK YOUR CREDIT REPORT,AND TRY TO FIND OUT WHAT ADDRESS HAS BEEN USED &  WHEN YOU FIND OUT THE ADDRESS WHO EVER BEEN USING YOUR NAME CALL THE POLICE IN THAT CITY  TO REPORT THE ACCIDENT,AND  HOPEFULLY THEY  WILL CAUGHT THAT PERSON .
(3) DISPUTE & AND CORRECT ALL THE INFO IN YOUR REPORT,AND TRY TO PUT A PASSWORD  FOR ANY ACCESS TO YOUR FILE .
GOOD LUCK TO YOU,AND WE WISH YOU THE BEST . Smiley Happy

Message Edited by creditdream on 02-22-2008 01:49 PM
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you CreditDream! I appreciate you sharing your story. It is just terrible that this happens. I am also just sick about thinking what these idiots have done with my kids SS#!!! Ugh!
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.