Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud alert: Watch for Overstock.com charges

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fraud alert: Watch for Overstock.com charges

I just had 2 unrecognized transactions pop up on one of my CC's- both from Overstock.com.  I called their fraud department, and they said that yes, they were definitely fraud- the charges originated from Africa.  Apparently, someone is using basically a random number generator to try to buy stuff from Overstock.com, and if the transaction goes through (i.e., it matches some real card #), they'll use it other places.

Luckily, I caught the transactions just a day or 2 after they popped up (still listed as Pending), and that card now has a new #.

So, keep a close eye on all your accounts!  Scary....

-MsMS
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fraud alert: Watch for Overstock.com charges

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment regarding the un-authorized overstock charge. I actually just got a text message informing me my credit card had been charged $105.31 to overstock. The interesting thing is I have never used overstock! Thanks again for your post I will contact them tomorrow
Message 2 of 8
98Supra
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:
I just had 2 unrecognized transactions pop up on one of my CC's- both from Overstock.com.  I called their fraud department, and they said that yes, they were definitely fraud- the charges originated from Africa.  Apparently, someone is using basically a random number generator to try to buy stuff from Overstock.com, and if the transaction goes through (i.e., it matches some real card #), they'll use it other places.

Luckily, I caught the transactions just a day or 2 after they popped up (still listed as Pending), and that card now has a new #.

So, keep a close eye on all your accounts!  Scary....

-MsMS

I wonder how long it takes for them to get a successful card. All the number possibilities, and then the EXP date, and the CCV...how do they even manage to get a card working? I would assume by a certain amount of declines, the website would block you out

Message 3 of 8
elim
Senior Contributor

I set alerts for purchases over 1$ on every card possible.  It isn't really that annoying.  A few seconds after you swipe your card your msg goes off.  Card Not Present charges are the most important and you get those alerts instantly also.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is odd. I have had a typo in my address before when buying stuff online and my card was declined due to that. That was with a regular credit card, not a store card though. I thought all the information had to be correct when buying things online. It would be pretty much impossible to guess all that information correctly lol. Are you sure they didn't have all of your information? Did you ask the credit card fraud department what all information they had? I am by far not an expert on the issue. Makes me a bit curious as to what happened and how.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Apparently, someone is using basically a random number generator to try to buy stuff from Overstock.com, and if the transaction goes through (i.e., it matches some real card #), they'll use it other places
Extremely unlikely, bordering statistical impossibility. Credit card numbers are not random string of numbers, even though it seems that way. They are generated using Luhn algorithm, also called modulus 10 or mod 10. This is a very elegent, simple and fast number hashing system invented by an IBM scientist and is used nit only to generate credit card numbers but also social security number among many other numerical identifiers.
Now the part about statistically improbable; even if someone somehow guessed a valid credit card number, they will also have to guess the correct expatriation date too. There is no payment processor/payment gateway that will process a credit card transaction without it. Credit card issuer will decline the transaction if exp date is incorrect. These days, due to rampant fraud and data hacks, zipcodes and csv numbers are also required in most cases.
Your credit card number was breached, most probably, due to numerous data breaches.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I just had 2 unrecognized transactions pop up on one of my CC's- both from Overstock.com.  I called their fraud department, and they said that yes, they were definitely fraud- the charges originated from Africa.
Let's not sully the good name of African people. Many of them are so generous with their new found wealth and routinely offer to share it with anyone who is willing to send them banking information in order to facilitate quick transfer of funds. Smiley Tongue
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Apparently, someone is using basically a random number generator to try to buy stuff from Overstock.com, and if the transaction goes through (i.e., it matches some real card #), they'll use it other places
Extremely unlikely, bordering statistical impossibility. Credit card numbers are not random string of numbers, even though it seems that way. They are generated using Luhn algorithm, also called modulus 10 or mod 10. This is a very elegent, simple and fast number hashing system invented by an IBM scientist and is used nit only to generate credit card numbers but also social security number among many other numerical identifiers.
Now the part about statistically improbable; even if someone somehow guessed a valid credit card number, they will also have to guess the correct expatriation date too. There is no payment processor/payment gateway that will process a credit card transaction without it. Credit card issuer will decline the transaction if exp date is incorrect. These days, due to rampant fraud and data hacks, zipcodes and csv numbers are also required in most cases.
Your credit card number was breached, most probably, due to numerous data breaches.

+1

Yes. There are places on the internet where you can buy lists of compromised cards. Thats what these people are doing, simply going down a list to find the compromised cards that are still good.

"random number generator" LOL.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.