Did you mean: 

Freaking Identity Theft!!!

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Freaking Identity Theft!!!

@pizzadude wrote:

Ouch, I'm really sorry to hear about this Laz....  Smiley Sad

Makes me think that putting a freeze on my reports might be a good idea once I get my scores where I want them.....

I hope that you can work it out without too much hassle on your part.    It's really unfair that you are victimized and you have to do so much work to clear your name.

Me too!  I think that's the worst part of having this happen.  Waiting to see how much hassle it's going to be in the end.  So far, the PayPal people have been really nice to me, but that can always change!

Message 11 of 21
Cranski
Valued Member

Wouldn't this be the ideal time to freeze or lock the CR. Or perhaps consider some form of service like lifelock?

I mentioned id theft once to experian when they wouldn't remove the ficticious name used by a parent and the whole cr report vanished and I didn't exsit for years till Sallie Mae reported Stafford last year.

CS 701, CK 682, Credit.com 719/ TU FICO 666 (DIS 8/12) EU FICO 658 (8/12)
After spree CS 738, CK 684, TU FICO 666 (Dis 8/5)

WF Secured 600Cl (7/11), Discover More 1.5k (8/12), Walmart 150CL(8/12), Cap1 Platinum w/Credit steps($300) (8/12)
Message 12 of 21
laz98
Senior Contributor

I am going to get some more information on the report freezing & fraud alerts tomorrow.  Not going to get LifeLock, though.

Yeah, I hear some crazy things start happen to your reports with things like this...just going to cross my fingers & hope for the best.

Message 13 of 21
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Did you have a PayPal account? You need PayPal account to get PayPal MC, so if you did have one your PayPal account is compromised.

Message 14 of 21
laz98
Senior Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Did you have a PayPal account? You need PayPal account to get PayPal MC, so if you did have one your PayPal account is compromised.

Yes, I do have a PayPal account.  I didn't know you had to have the account to get the card.  I'm surprised they didn't take the money I have in my PayPal account!

My Bill Me Later account is linked to my PayPal account, too.  Am I going to have to close that as well?  I just got a CLI Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 21
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Call PayPal to check if there is any other account registered under your name.

If there is only one PayPal account (which is tied to your email account) registered under your name then your PayPal account is compromised. Pay close attention to this PayPal account and anything assoicated with it (deposit account, debit/credit card, BML, etc) and be prepared to shut it down.

Also change your online password.

Message 16 of 21
laz98
Senior Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Call PayPal to check if there is any other account registered under your name.

If there is only one PayPal account (which is tied to your email account) registered under your name then your PayPal account is compromised. Pay close attention to this PayPal account and anything assoicated with it (deposit account, debit/credit card, BML, etc) and be prepared to shut it down.

Also change your online password.

Doggone it!  What a pain this person is.  I deleted all the info I had saved on my account, & changed my passwords for both PayPal & BML.  Changed my security questions, too.  I sent an email to BML asking what they think I should do.  I honestly don't know about this stuff as much as I thought I did.  When I called PayPal yesterday I didn't think about asking about my BML account or the money in my PayPal account ($88, not a fortune).  Today WOULD be Friday, wouldn't it?  Smiley Sad

Message 17 of 21
laz98
Senior Contributor

Just an evening update, for anyone who might want to know...

So I went ahead & moved the money in my PayPal account to my bank.  No sense in waiting for it to be taken.  Changed the password & security questions for the email associated with my PayPal account.  Luckily it is not my primary email; I only really use it for PayPal.

Emailed my bank since my account was linked to my PayPal.  They said since I don't want them to close the account this minute (bills pending), to just keep an eye on things & let them know when I do want them to close it.  I really don't want to, but I may not have a choice about it.  I don't want to be worrying about this forever & ever.

Updated reports from everywhere.  Got the ##%^&$%&*@ identity thief's address on one of my reports, & the account is showing (differently) on 2 of my reports.  The reports also show most of the fraudulent account number, so that's helpful.  Saved printable copies to my computer for printing tomorrow.  As of right now, the fraud alert is showing on EQ & EX only.  Hopefully TU will get with the program tomorow.

Visited some more identity theft information websites today (FTC, state site, etc.) & bookmarked pages & saved files that will be useful.  By this time I was pretty tired of reading things so I'm leaving that for tomorrow.  Spending a lot of time checking passwords on sites to make sure no other accounts have been compromised.

Will update this again tomorrow if I have new information.  Maybe I'll get the paperwork from PayPal tomorrow.

Message 18 of 21
laz98
Senior Contributor

Hello, just another update Smiley Happy  Nothing from PayPal in the mail today, so hopefully on Monday.

Well, another of my emails was hacked today.  Luckily, it is also not an important email, but still.  We think my gf's account may have been hacked too.  We aren't sure, but we changed the password anyway.  We changed her BML account information as well.

Went to log in to my BML account today, & it had been locked due to too many failed login attempts.  I was able to get it reset.  Called in to see if there was anything they could do, but they said no, since there hadn't been any fraudulent transactions.  I was able to change my user ID, though, & I changed the password again.

There is a little more concern today that our bank account will get hacked next.  Like I said yesterday, I don't want to close it; I've had it forever.  But I may not have a choice.  I was able to change my user ID & password for that as well; I'm hoping that will be enough.

The fraud account is now on TU, & the fraud alert is present on all of my reports.  Honestly, right now it's not giving me much peace of mind.

Message 19 of 21
Cranski
Valued Member

You have checked your computer thoroughly for malware, keyloggers, and trojans correct?

CS 701, CK 682, Credit.com 719/ TU FICO 666 (DIS 8/12) EU FICO 658 (8/12)
After spree CS 738, CK 684, TU FICO 666 (Dis 8/5)

WF Secured 600Cl (7/11), Discover More 1.5k (8/12), Walmart 150CL(8/12), Cap1 Platinum w/Credit steps($300) (8/12)
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.