Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Credit Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Free Credit Score

Okay

so maybe this is a stupid question but are these sites legitamite to get your credit score from? Creditkarma.com, quizzle.com & Credit Sesame

If they arent how important is it to pay so you can keep track of your credit score?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
alvon123
Super Contributor

Re: Free Credit Score

These are a few more free sites that provide Fako scores:

credit.com (fako)

mint.com (fako)

These sites are only good for monitoring and educational use only.

I highly recommend  purchasing fico scores from Myfico or obtaining free ficos  from Discover, Walmart, Barclays ect..

Message 2 of 8
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

The free sites you list are all FAKO.  Many paid sites are FAKO, too.

There are several threads listing different ways to get your FICO score.  Here is one of the threads I like better:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Where-to-obtain-FREE-monthly-FICO-scores/...

A few things have changed since the thread was created.  MyFico now only sells FICO 08 scores.  Penfed now provides quarterly NextGen EQ scores.  It is a FICO, but Penfed is one of the few places that use it.  I am sure I am missing some.

Message 3 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

so maybe this is a stupid question but are these sites legitamite to get your credit score from? Creditkarma.com, quizzle.com & Credit Sesame 

They're legitimate if you're after FAKO's.  They're not legitimate if you're after FICO's.

@Anonymous wrote:

If they arent how important is it to pay so you can keep track of your credit score?

Up to you to determine.  I don't find tracking my scores all that important.   However, I do find monitoring my credit reports important.  If scores are useful to you then it may be important to you.

The problem IMO with fixating on scores is the number of different scoring models in use.  Even if you purchase FICO's there are a number of different FICO scoring models used by creditors and you can't rely on one scoring model to determine a score generated by an entirely different scoring model.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

How come Discover, Barclays and Walmart give you a Real FiCO Score but is from TransUnion, i think for them, TransUnion is the cheapest one to buy, Because i Don't see them giving us the EX or EQ FiCO for free, only TU for free...

Message 5 of 8
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How come Discover, Barclays and Walmart give you a Real FiCO Score but is from TransUnion, i think for them, TransUnion is the cheapest one to buy, Because i Don't see them giving us the EX or EQ FiCO for free, only TU for free...

Unless your reports show different things it shouldn't matter. There are over 50 different FICO scores and people make far too big of a deal out of them lol.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 6 of 8
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it has more to do with TU providing more support for the CCC's to implement the program.  I believe the FICO program allows the CCC to provide you the FICO score they pull for normal monitoring of your account.  In other words, the CCC is already paying for the score.  They can just now show you the score.   TU was just a leader in helping CCC provide the score (or so I have heard).

Penfed and DCU are providing FICO EQ scores for free.  They are not FICO 08 scores, but they are the FICO versions the CCC's are using.  The program is still relatively new, I am sure more CCC's will start providing the FICO scores they use in the next coupld of years.

Message 7 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is very true..why doesnt amex give free experian. hehehe. since thats mostly what they use. i agree. must be cheaper for transunion. even though Discover ran my equifax to approve my card. but use transunion to give a fico score. im sick of getting transunion . however. i must say. my fico did update my transunion today. and it says according to info on my credit report 10-1. why it take 5 days to update. anyway. rant is done.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.