cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Ex FICO score from Discover without having a Discover card.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Free Ex FICO score from Discover without having a Discover card.

So I had free FICO 8 scores for Equifax and Trans Union due to a Citi card and a Sams Club Mastercard.  I really wanted to have a regular way to check my Experian score free.  I found a site that instructed me how Discover gives you a free FICO even if you don't have one of their credit cards.  Site is called creditscorecard.com.    

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Re: Free Ex FICO score from Discover without having a Discover card.

You can also add Experian to the list of places that will give you a free EX-08 score.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Where-to-obtain-FREE-monthly-FICO-scores/...

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks CreditDunce.  My Experian score is the same there as it is with the free Discover site.  Apparently, that's a FICO 8 score also.

I can sleep better knowing I now have all 3 FICO 8 scores for free.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi provides a Equifax FICO 08?  I always thought Citi provided a different Equifax score, maybe bankcard or something?  That's good to know.  It seems a million places offer a TU FICO 08 or EX FICO 08 but I've yet to find one that gives a free Equifax FICO 08.

Message 4 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi provides a Equifax FICO 08?  I always thought Citi provided a different Equifax score, maybe bankcard or something?  That's good to know.  It seems a million places offer a TU FICO 08 or EX FICO 08 but I've yet to find one that gives a free Equifax FICO 08.

It's EQ FICO 8 Bankcard industry option at Citi.  Not the classic score unfortunately.

I'm actually more surprised we don't get more BC scores from lenders under FICO Open Access... doesn't look like the BC industry option really has made that much in terms of inroads; admittedly Citi is a big credit card issuer, but the rest of the scores from the major CC issuers are classic / no industry option variety.

        
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm surprised that there aren't more EQ scores out there.  Seems like the majority are TU and EX from what I've seen anyway.

Message 6 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm surprised that there aren't more EQ scores out there.  Seems like the majority are TU and EX from what I've seen anyway.

Anecdotally EQ appeared to be the least reliable bureau in terms of tradeline data (things staying on too long, things wandering away early) and my report wasn't an isolated case on that just from the small population which frequented this forum.  That may be why they're such a PITA to deal with for EE as an aside.

I suspect the lenders may have seen something similar as for a fact the major ones have direct comparisons, so they likely picked either the best or the cheapest for their monitoring of users, and possibly both were EX in that regard.   If anything I'm more surprised on the plethora of TU scores, but they were providing scores even before FICO Open Access if I remember correctly as a stand alone product so it could've been just first mover advantage.

EX seems to be making up for lost time on that front being the first bureau to offer a free FICO score directly to subscribers.

        
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The sources use for free scores:

Barclay TU Fico 8

KC, TU Vantage 3

KC EQ Vantage 3

Walmart TU Fico 8

US Bank TU Vantage 3

Discover IT card EQ Fico 8

Discover NO Card Free EX Fico 8

CITI EQ Fico 8

AMEX EX Fico 8

Experian I get a free credit report, but would need to pay for their score from their site

Mint Equifax Not sure what model, I think a score Equifax created for Mint and it's not a FICO 8 nor a Vantage score, and it's quarterly.

I know there are other free FICO 8 sourse, but I am pretty well covered already.

Message 8 of 11
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The sources use for free scores:

Barclay TU Fico 8

KC, TU Vantage 3

KC EQ Vantage 3

Walmart TU Fico 8

US Bank TU Vantage 3

Discover IT card EQ Fico 8

Discover NO Card Free EX Fico 8

CITI EQ Fico 8

AMEX EX Fico 8

Experian I get a free credit report, but would need to pay for their score from their site

Mint Equifax Not sure what model, I think a score Equifax created for Mint and it's not a FICO 8 nor a Vantage score, and it's quarterly.

I know there are other free FICO 8 sourse, but I am pretty well covered already.

Discover.com is TU FICO 8, not EQ, at least for me and everyone I've talked to about it... are you really seeing EQ?

CITI is EQ FICO 8 Bankcard, not EQ FICO 8 Classic.

Experian.com does have a free FICO 8 report AND score available now.

Mint.com uses the "Equifax Credit Score Model" - not created for Mint, but also not of any real use.

BoA also offers TU FICO 8, as do many Synchrony cards.

WF offers EX FICO 3, oddly.

I'm not currently aware of a major card issuer that offers EQ FICO 8 Classic.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea my Discover is a TU Fico 8

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.