Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friend has been scammed (rental)

tag
PicoFico
Frequent Contributor

Friend has been scammed (rental)

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, a young friend has just fell victim to a rental scam that was posted on craigslist. I'll maybe give the details later, but time isn't a luxury he has I'm afraid and I'm trying to help him through this mess...

What I know is, the supposed landlords have the following:

photo copy of current license

SSN

bank account number

He has already sent via cashier's check, a decent chunk of money that has been cashed and unlikely can be recouped. In this nightmare, they worked him for more money via another cashier's check.

U.S. Bank (friends only FI) can't close his accounts (supposedly) being that he's trying to cancel the second cashier's check. In the meantime, I told him to drain his account(s), for now, until they can get a new one open.

Next, he should place a freeze on his CRA.

Can you freeze ChexSystems?

What else should he/we be thinking about?

I'm trying to help him the best I can, but he got to me so late after the initial onslaught I'm not sure how to advise him at this point. Please help give direction on the steps he/we should be taking to prevent further damage.

Thanks everyone who has time and clarity to respond.

edit:

Reading this at the moment.

Rebuild start: 5/15/19

Financial Institutions:
Wells Fargo | NFCU | Penfed
Products:
Discover It CB $2.1k | WF Propel $22.5k | PenFed PCR $20k | NFCU Platinum $10k | NFCU More Rewards $25k | NFCU Flagship $30k | NFCU CLOC $500 | NFCU SSL 60mo | NFCU Auto loan

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Friend has been scammed (rental)

Oh geez. that's why these scum persist, every now and then catch a sucker.

Yes, you can freeze Chex, right on their website: https://www.chexsystems.com

But once you freeze Chex you can't unfreeze until you get a PIN from them via snail mail. But you can't freeze EWS (Early Warning System) that US Bank and other large banks like Chase & BoA use. 

Yes, freeze all credit reports ASAP. Contact state DMV and see if they can get a new drivers license # for ID theft.

Message 2 of 5
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

In this order:  Police report; FTC; Social Security;  move money and close accounts;  inform credit card companies, with police report and FTC, ss will ask if new number is needed so police report is ideal.  Get a PO Box to use.  I hope all turns out well.

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's too bad, and a little surprising for a younger person. Especially with Graigslist, a notorious place for scams and worse.

Any time you deal with finaces/personal info, it should be done through a reputable agency etc. Not the want ads. 

I hope your friend gets thorughb this okay.

Message 4 of 5
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@tricie17 wrote:

In this order:  Police report; FTC; Social Security;  move money and close accounts;  inform credit card companies, with police report and FTC, ss will ask if new number is needed so police report is ideal.  Get a PO Box to use.  I hope all turns out well.

+1000.

Also alert Craigslist to this. 
So sorry to OP's friend

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.