Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GC Services and Jundgment question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GC Services and Jundgment question

I received a letter from GC Services (CA) this weekend regarding a traffic ticket "they said" went unpaid from a city I haven't lived or driven in for more than 10 years. Smiley Surprised News to me.

The letter says that my failure to respond to previous notifications has resulted in xyz county court obtaining a civil money judgment against me. News to me.  It further says the judgment has been forwarded to above mentioned CA and that the Dept of Motor Vehicles is assiting them in locating me. I don't live in the same state now, but will be moving back to that state next month.

In my old records, I found a traffic school certificate for the same city but can't match up any numbers (ie docket #, date, or ticket #) to verify this is the same ticket. I can't imagine I would let a ticket go for that long, but who knows the days back then were really lean.

I can afford to pay it, should I? It is not on any of my CR, but I don't know when this supposable judgment took place. If I call them, or pay it, how will that play with the SOL? What should I do? Any advice is much appreciated.

~lori

Message Edited by Lori344 on 06-25-2007 12:57 PM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: GC Services and Jundgment question

Hmmm If you have the money, I would just pay it.   Dealing with State's DMV can have nasty consequences that can come out of nowhere.   If it's not reporting now, **bleep** it in the bud before they do.    Never mess around with debt owed to the state of the Fed's.     Pay it and be done with it.  

And as far as the SOL is  concerned, if you pay it off in full than it doesn't matter.     Statute of Limitations for your state is how long they can legally sue you for the money and if you are paying in full, it's a moot point.   It will only reage if you make a partial payment and then the clock restarts. 

also your State's SOL has nothing to do with the allocated reporting time to the CRA's.  NOTHING.  
Message 2 of 7
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Also judgments are renewable if it has passed on the state's SOL and the CRA's reporting time.   It sounds like they had one against you and after the ellapsed time it fall off your credit report.    State's have no problem reinserting it, has not been sastified.    
Message 3 of 7
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Also judgments are renewable if it has passed on the state's SOL and the CRA's reporting time.   It sounds like they had one against you and after the ellapsed time it fall off your credit report.    State's have no problem reinserting it, has not been sastified.    
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Boswd,
I'm not sure if it was ever on my CR's. I really just started paying attention to them within the last year. Should I pay the credit agency or the county? Also, when contacting them should I bring up the paperwork (reciept and traffic school) I have for the ticket in that city and see if they match up?.... or throw money at them and run (ie thankful it's not on my CR's)

One thing I think that is worth mentioning as well is that they have my last name horribly misspelled. It occured to me that any payment I may have made might have been mis-applied.

Whadya Think?

A... throw money at them and be grateful

B... ask q's and run the risk of them reporting a judgment to my CR's

edited spelling error

Message Edited by Lori344 on 06-25-2007 01:38 PM
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

its the goverment, throw money and run, but get a receipt and never lose it, or it might come back to get you later.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Too funny... because it's the gov, I should cough up the funds that I think I already paid and count my blessings because they can make my life and cr/fico miserable. Really? Not that I disagree, but how did we ever get here?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.