cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geico Report $70 late fee on my account with notification since they have wrong address and email

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Geico Report $70 late fee on my account with notification since they have wrong address and email

This event left me speachless! I need help please. 

My credit is 756 and and I have reduced all revolving credit loan down to 2%.  I have managed my credit for so long because I'm looking into getting my first house and I did not want credit to be any type of issue ( Until 12/31/2021) .

I received emails from my credit agencies that I have a bad account that was reported. I called the number listed on the collection agency (CREDIT COLLECTION SERV)  and they let me know its Geico. Geico tried to run my auto pay and for some reason was not able to process the payment and decided to cancle my policy with them after 15 days. 

I called Geico right away to get clarification from them regardign why I have an outstanding balance and they let me know my card payment was not process and since they tried contacting me and I did not respond , they sent the account to collection. 

According to Geico supervisor, they sent letters to my home address and also emailed me regarding the debt prior to sending the account to collection. I have had geico for over 9 years and have never had this issue with them.  The address and the email address they tried to contact me was my old address. The house was sold Beginning of this year and the email address was my old school email address I used from a long time ago.  I never receieved any letter or email from them until I saw this on my credit. The collection agency also have the wrong address and also had an address in another city that I have never stayed at. They both told me they have sent letter to those two addresses but I never replied. Please keep in mind I have never seen any letter from them or email from them until I saw my credit got ding. 

Please I need help on how to navigate this. The report on my credit is from CREDIT COLLECTION SERV and when I called Geico they wanted to collect the payment from me. Both parties wanted to collect the payment. I dont mind paying the $70. I asked if geico can recall debt from CREDIT COLLECTION SERV and the lady I spoke with said she cant do that. I asked CREDIT COLLECTION SERV if i pay with them givevn they all have the bad address and wrong email can they do something for me. They all said nope. 

Can I pay to geico and disput with my credit Bureau company that the payment was made and CREDIT COLLECTION SERV  to remove the collection? 

Please I need help and any information on how to solve this would be great. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Geico Report $70 late fee on my account with notification since they have wrong address and emai

All you can do is write GW letters. Auto insurance GW's are very rare on here. It really falls on you for not keeping you profile updated with GEICO. Hopefully your vehicle registration/drivers license isnt the old address either. Here in FL you have 30 days to update your drivers license address. Best of luck.

Message 2 of 9
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: Geico Report $70 late fee on my account with notification since they have wrong address and emai

This is going to sound pretty harsh, @Anonymous, but you're responsible for all of this. I wouldn't get my hopes up about any potential goodwill gestures, since the blame falls squarely on your shoulders.

You not only failed to update your account information with Geico, but you also dropped the ball by not noticing that your payment hadn't been made. This is one of the pitfalls of relying on auto-pay, so the onus is on you to stay on top of things. You should have been monitoring the bank account or credit card that you use for auto-pay, to make sure all payments were made--correctly, and on time.

I'm afraid that at this point you're not going to have much luck getting...anything in terms of goodwill gestures. I would definitely pay the bill, simply because it's the right thing to do. I would also use this as a learning experience. Going forward, you now know that you need to be more vigilant about your bills. If you want to use auto-pay for some or all of your bills, that's fine, as long as you're keeping an eye on them so you can catch a problem before it's too late.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 9
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous I'm sorry that happened to you. I have no experience in how to manage cases like yours but I hope someone from the forum can direct you towards how to fix it. It is a pity that such an error can damage something as important as our credit. 
   As far as I understand, when a collection is under $100 it will not affect the scores. One of the drawbacks that could happen is that when applying online you are not approved automatically and you may need to call the reconsideration number; explaining your situation in a simple and direct way I do not see how they can deny you credit if the rest of your profile is in order as well as your score. 
   Wish you luck and welcome to the forum.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply. I have paid the bill with Geico. I'm hoping to have something resolve with them soon. This really would impact me more than ever because of the current situation. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have my car insurance with them. I never liked them. And that little frog thing with the foreign accent, not cute anymore

Thanks

Mark

Message 6 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This event left me speachless! I need help please. 

My credit is 756 and and I have reduced all revolving credit loan down to 2%.  I have managed my credit for so long because I'm looking into getting my first house and I did not want credit to be any type of issue ( Until 12/31/2021) .

I received emails from my credit agencies that I have a bad account that was reported. I called the number listed on the collection agency (CREDIT COLLECTION SERV)  and they let me know its Geico. Geico tried to run my auto pay and for some reason was not able to process the payment and decided to cancle my policy with them after 15 days. 

I called Geico right away to get clarification from them regardign why I have an outstanding balance and they let me know my card payment was not process and since they tried contacting me and I did not respond , they sent the account to collection. 

According to Geico supervisor, they sent letters to my home address and also emailed me regarding the debt prior to sending the account to collection. I have had geico for over 9 years and have never had this issue with them.  The address and the email address they tried to contact me was my old address. The house was sold Beginning of this year and the email address was my old school email address I used from a long time ago.  I never receieved any letter or email from them until I saw this on my credit. The collection agency also have the wrong address and also had an address in another city that I have never stayed at. They both told me they have sent letter to those two addresses but I never replied. Please keep in mind I have never seen any letter from them or email from them until I saw my credit got ding. 

Please I need help on how to navigate this. The report on my credit is from CREDIT COLLECTION SERV and when I called Geico they wanted to collect the payment from me. Both parties wanted to collect the payment. I dont mind paying the $70. I asked if geico can recall debt from CREDIT COLLECTION SERV and the lady I spoke with said she cant do that. I asked CREDIT COLLECTION SERV if i pay with them givevn they all have the bad address and wrong email can they do something for me. They all said nope. 

Can I pay to geico and disput with my credit Bureau company that the payment was made and CREDIT COLLECTION SERV  to remove the collection? 

I think you should dispute this vigorously, both asking Geico to remove it, and asking the bureaus to remove it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 9
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous 

Dont give up. Dispute until it gets fixed.

Message 8 of 9
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

<snip>The address and the email address they tried to contact me was my old address. The house was sold Beginning of this year and the email address was my old school email address I used from a long time ago. 

<snip>

If what you are saying is that you had previously updated your contact information and their system somehow reverted to and older email and snail-mail address, then I would push that issue. If you have emails and letters you received at your updated addresses, I would offer these to them and ask why those were reverted. Also, if your insurance agency was using an incorrect mailing address you never provided to them, or resided at, then I'd seriously be looking into whether there might be something nefarious going on (potentially identity theft or something along those lines).

As for the collections, does a returned insurance payment really result in collections after only 15 days? I guess what I'm asking is how far back the missed payment goes and how quickly after that was it sent to collections? I'm trying to envision a timeline where something reached 15 days late, and then time was allowed for letters to be sent and a reply, and then for it to be sent to collections and reported - that doesn't seem like a quick process a missed payment should have been noted on your end long before anything showed up on a report.

Lastly, if this is auto insurance aren't you usually contacted by your state department of motor vehicles if there is a lapse in a policy? One would hope they had your correct contact information.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.