cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting an inquiry removed: only recourse official dispute?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting an inquiry removed: only recourse official dispute?

Update 6/30: My lender confirmed that this inquiry type is not a problem.

Long-ish story, hopefully short: I was pricing out Verizon to see if I could save some money by switching from AT&T (Initial research oddly says yes). However, the website was being wonky so I started  chat session and explained, then they said they'd have to "do it from their end". I told them that I did not want to commit to anything and that I was simply trying to estimate price. They said they "would not be able to get the prices without getting through to the checkout page of the order". They then sent me a link which had fields for me to fill in personal information, including SS#. Before I finalized it, I went back to chat and asked if it was a hard or soft pull and they said it was a hard pull. When i looked back to the form, it said it was submitting even though I did not click "ok" or" submit". I went back to the chat and said repeatedly that i do not authorize the inquiry. The rep confirmed that the form automatically submits when filled out. They also said they "closed out the order beforehand, though I am not sure".

Here is why this is a problem: I close on a mortgage in 2 weeks and as of yesterday, they were getting ready to submit the clear to close but have yet to pull my credit report a final time. I have called Verizon an untold number of times since then but they are of absolutely no use. The closest thing to an answer I have gotten is that I have to go to the credit bureau to resolve, which I did yesterday and luckily it only hit EQ so far.

Does anyone have other ideas? Or am I "screwed" (shouldn't halt the mortgage, but it's a headache I don't need this late in the process)?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting an inquiry removed: only recourse official dispute?

Hopefully you had the chat session emailed/saved and you can use that as your proof that you did not authorize the inquiry.  Further, you should make a complaint to the BBB, CFPB and your State Attorney General. 

Good Luck

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hopefully you had the chat session emailed/saved and you can use that as your proof that you did not authorize the inquiry.  Further, you should make a complaint to the BBB, CFPB and your State Attorney General. 

Good Luck

Thankfully, I did email myself the chat transcript and, IMO, it is rather damning for them. however, I admit it was rather dumb on my part to enter my information (even though all i did was type it in a form without submitting) before asking what kind of inquiry it was.

Message 3 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You didnt have to submit. They knew what was needed in case you started services. Good credit. No down payment. Lower credit has to pay avg $400. Friend has a Verizon store in NY. But going straight thru Verizon is different. She always tells customers first. CSR's? Probably want the sign up bonus. Good Luck!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd be willing to bet this has no impact whatsoever on your mortgage. They may ask for a simple letter of explanation, what you've told us would suffice. Its very common to have these kind of inquiries during the final days of the home buying process. Phone, internet, cable, utility companies can all potentially pull your credit before providing service. I think a loan officer would be used to seeing this type of inquiry.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'd be willing to bet this has no impact whatsoever on your mortgage. They may ask for a simple letter of explanation, what you've told us would suffice. Its very common to have these kind of inquiries during the final days of the home buying process. Phone, internet, cable, utility companies can all potentially pull your credit before providing service. I think a loan officer would be used to seeing this type of inquiry.

Yea, i emailed the lender last night and attached the chat transcript, a screen capture of the dispute on EQ and a panicked explanation because my stomach dropped when I got the Creditkarma notification. I've not heard back yet, but she has a habit of not being very prompt to respond unless she has some sort of news or a request for more info.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Update: you were correct. My lender confirmed this would be no issue at all and that they'd be looking for actual lines of credit, like another mortgage, credit cards, personal loan or car loan.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.