cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP Multiple Unauthorized Hard Pulls from Chase on Equifax - won't remove.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP Multiple Unauthorized Hard Pulls from Chase on Equifax - won't remove.

Between September 2016 and October 2017 there were 7 unauthorized Chase Bank (National Credit Card Cos) 'hard' credit pulls on my reports. I wasn't monitoring at that time like I have been in the last year or so. I didn't order any of them. I got Experian and TransUnion to remove them and sent a letter to Equifax but they still haven't taken ANY of them off. They acknowledged my complaint but still nothing.

This is obviously frustrating on many levels and thankfully my credit has drastically improved despite it. However...I'd love to get them off but really have no idea what to do at this point.

Does anyone on here have any advice? I've had to put a lock on all three bureau's which I'd like to remove but I'm worried whatever was causing those pulls will resume. Never got any explanation either. Ugh.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: HELP Multiple Unauthorized Hard Pulls from Chase on Equifax - won't remove.

For what reason or purpose given for those inquiries?   Are the inquires over 2 years old? Inquiries are on your credit report for 2 years.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC bankcard 797 08/2024 EFX 811 Bankcard v8 811 EFX 806 FIC0 v8 (09/2024)
Discover IT 09/90, 19000, JC Penney 10/2008 4700, US Bank Cash 08/2010 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 20,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 08/23/2024 Langley FCU Signature Cash Back Visa 10000 Bank: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU
Pelican State CU Redstone FCU Hughes FCU, LangleyFCU SDFCU auto CLI. 6/24 5000 to 20k
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

They showed as inquiries for credit card I believe. Didn't get much info and reported then as unauthorized. I used a service from Experian to help me report then all. Only Equifax is not removing them.

The first one was in Sept 2016 and last was in October 2017.

Thanks for responding!
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may request that EQ block the inquiries under Sections 605B and 623(a)(6) of the FCRA.  It would require that you first file a police report asserting that you were a victim of identity theft.

You can read all about this here and especially on page 26:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0119-guide-assisting-id-theft-victims.pdf

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the advice and info.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bear in mind that most of the inquiries stopped having any affect on your score a while ago.  And the few that happened in Oct 2016 will stop having any effect in a couple months.

That's because FICO ignores any inquiry older than one year old.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP sorry this has happened .. I too was in your position last year, 5 apps to Chase for CC but I didn't do them.  I contacted Chase Fraud Dept using the phone # associated with the inquiry and they transferred me. I explained the situation and the gent was very nice.  He asked me some basic questions and said he would get back to me.  5 days later, he called and informed me they were being removed and it could take up to 45 days to show.  He also sent me a letter (at my request) in case I had any issues with "too many inquires" and I received the letter a couple of days after.

I was lucky that no new accounts had been opened in my name, and the Chase fellow explained how easy it was to verify I didn't do the apps.  They had all been done online, but using a different IP addy.  

I was very fortunate and I immediately put a freeze on all CBs (as soon as I had talked to Chase fellow), but I have to say Chase was very good about getting to the bottom of it all and never at any time made me feel like I wasn't important or make me "prove" I didn't do it.

Best of luck to you!

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did chase send you the ip address that was used? I am in a similar situation and I would like to know who applied in my name.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too have this same situation, but the pulls were only on Experian.  I noticed them last year and called.  Someone at my old address keeps trying to open an Amazon card through Chase every 2-3 months.  Chase has verified that they are using my previous name and my old address but the right social.  I have to call every few months to have them marked as unauthorized pulls and Chase removes them in 30-45 days.  Fortunately, they have not been successful in opening an account, but unfortunately the local PD says that since no account is opened, I cannot file for identity theft.  I have an identity fraud note on all 3 bureaus so I don't have to pay for security freeze.  Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Did chase send you the ip address that was used? I am in a similar situation and I would like to know who applied in my name.

No, they didn't.  They asked me to verify an email addy and other personal information.  They would only tell me they traced the app to a different IP.  I would recommend to anyone having a similar problem to freeze your CB, contact the CCCs fraud dept directly and ask them to investigate and remove.  It really is much safer/faster then trying to go to CBs

Good luck!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.