cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP MyFICO alert says my info is on the Dark Web?

tag
CreditobsessedinFL
Established Contributor

HELP MyFICO alert says my info is on the Dark Web?

I am petrified ; just got 4 alerts on MyFICO that my info might be for sale on the dark web, is this legit? I value any input or advice, thank you.
9 REPLIES 9
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: HELP MyFICO alert says my info is on the Dark Web?

Yeah, unfortunately, it's legit--  but there's not much you can do about it aside from remaining hyper-vigilant with your accounts.  Change your usernames and passwords;  if your email address is one of the items of info found, change that password too - make them difficult.

I received my first Dark Web alert in 2017, and still receive alerts periodically (mostly inconsequential email addresses are found), but have yet to experience any type of actual fraud. It's just something to be aware of.  I change my passwords regularly, use 2-Factor Authentication on my banking/credit accounts that offer it, check my accounts daily (which is really quick and easy since everyone has an app...), and make sure anti-virus is always up-to-date.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 10
CreditobsessedinFL
Established Contributor

Thank you so much @Thornback, I will implement your suggestions immediately. I have to go back and see what exactly it says has been compromised, thank goodness I paid for the MyFICO membership. More importantly, the information and support from the forum members has been priceless!
Message 3 of 10
thornback
Senior Contributor

You're welcome! You also may want to consider keeping your reports locked/frozen during the times yours not applying for anything. This will help prevent fraudulant activity (such as new account openings) but still allow you, your existing creditors, and your report monitoring service(s) to access your reports. You'll just have to remember to unlock/unfreeze before attempting any apps - including prequals.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 10
CreditobsessedinFL
Established Contributor

Thank you; another excellent suggestion! I see that my reports say “unlocked“ and I keep seeing that others have theirs “locked” in the forums, but I mistakenly thought that was implemented solely as an added measure of self-restraint to keep them from venturing out of the garden, lol! Hard to believe that anyone is trying to steal jacked up credit, but better safe than sorry. Off to lock ‘em up, even if there is an additional cost it will be worth it. Once again, MYFICO forums to the rescue!
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax had two major data breaches in the last 5 years. So pretty much 90% of us have our info for sale on the dark web.

Plus all the smaller breaches that happen monthly (linkedin, Capital One, Dropbox, etc.)

Message 6 of 10
CreditobsessedinFL
Established Contributor

Geez...I can’t win. Thanks.
Message 7 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Equifax had two major data breaches in the last 5 years. So pretty much 90% of us have our info for sale on the dark web.

Plus all the smaller breaches that happen monthly (linkedin, Capital One, Dropbox, etc.)

For the love of Equihax. Smiley Mad

Message 8 of 10
LittleSal
Frequent Contributor

Yep. Unfortunately our info is all on the dark web!
Message 9 of 10
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@CreditobsessedinFL wrote:
I am petrified ; just got 4 alerts on MyFICO that my info might be for sale on the dark web, is this legit? I value any input or advice, thank you.

Think of it as the cost of being online. If you are connected to something that shares info then naturally some of your info will be added to the pool. Having credit also adds your info online due to all issuers using electronic records to handle transactions and some companies are lousy at being guards.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.