cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Removal Question

Wavester64
Valued Contributor

HP Removal Question

Curious - how unreasonable is this scenario:

 

Applied for membership to Credit Union Lender A.

 

Didn't know at the time that membership meant a HP.

 

CSR called and said since you have a HP, might as well try for a product.

 

At the time, I felt I wouldn't be approved because of my #s (was only applying for membership to try for a CC in the future), but since I wasted a HP I figured I might as well go for it.

 

Went for it, DENIED, which I figured.

 

Less than 6-weeks later same Credit Union Lender A offers me a CC all I had to was accept terms, which I did and I got another HP (and the CC).

 

Question: How unreasonable is it to try to have that first HP removed?

 

To me, it doesn't seem right they HP me 2Xs when nothing much changed in those 6 weeks where they should have just approved me 6-weeks prior.

 

I mean - is it illogical to think this way?

 

I mean, it's already been 8-months since this all transpired and my relationship with Credit Union Lender A has been great so far but that darn extra HP is bothering me.





Potential Future Cards
8 REPLIES 8
Jnbmom
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: HP Removal Question

You can try but I doubt they will remove or recode it but worth a try.

 

You got an HP for membership then applied 6 weeks later for CC, I would expect them to pull again .

EXP 758 TU 783 EQ 729
Message 2 of 9
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: HP Removal Question

Both pulls were for a permissible purpose, so you couldn't get either removed by the bureaus.  You could ask the CU to recode one of the HPs, but I doubt they would, since they were both incured through their normal membership and lending procedures.  Additionally, six weeks can be a long time from a pull, depending on the lender; the CU I used to work at would only consider a pull valid within 30 days of the pull date.


Message 3 of 9
FinStar
Moderator

Re: HP Removal Question

What institution is Credit Union Lender A? 

Personally, I'd let it be.  While you may not think that the span of 6 weeks matters, but each CU has their own internal UW policies on membership and/or credit originations.  Believe it or not, things can change even in 2 weeks (reporting-wise).  But, 8 months ago?  Chances are the data of your initial membership application or whichever products you had applied for at the time is inaccessible to make changes.  30 or 60 days ago, possibly (at least to determine if recoding was possible as mentioned upthread).  I can see it from a standpoint if the information online displayed one thing and the opposite happened.

 

I think you're letting a single HP rent space in your mind than what it should.  At the end of the day, it'll be unscorable in less than 4-5 months and off your CRs in less than 2 years 🤷‍♂️

Message 4 of 9
rostrow416
Frequent Contributor

Re: HP Removal Question

1) it was completely reasonable for them to pull your credit for both of those situations and unlikely that they would change anything

 

2) it's been 8 months, your score has mostly recovered from the little dip anyway.  At 12 months, the point penalty from a hard inquiry is gone.  So it's not even going to affect you even if it was removed.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $5,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000


Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 5 of 9
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

Re: HP Removal Question


@FinStar wrote:

What institution is Credit Union Lender A? 

Personally, I'd let it be.  While you may not think that the span of 6 weeks matters, but each CU has their own internal UW policies on membership and/or credit originations.  Believe it or not, things can change even in 2 weeks (reporting-wise).  But, 8 months ago?  Chances are the data of your initial membership application or whichever products you had applied for at the time is inaccessible to make changes.  30 or 60 days ago, possibly (at least to determine if recoding was possible as mentioned upthread).  I can see it from a standpoint if the information online displayed one thing and the opposite happened.

 

I think you're letting a single HP rent space in your mind than what it should.  At the end of the day, it'll be unscorable in less than 4-5 months and off your CRs in less than 2 years 🤷‍♂️


Good info & advice, to which I think I'll take. Thanks @FinStar Smiley Happy





Potential Future Cards
Message 6 of 9
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

Re: HP Removal Question


@rostrow416 wrote:

1) it was completely reasonable for them to pull your credit for both of those situations and unlikely that they would change anything

 

2) it's been 8 months, your score has mostly recovered from the little dip anyway.  At 12 months, the point penalty from a hard inquiry is gone.  So it's not even going to affect you even if it was removed.


Thanks @rostrow416 , both valid points.





Potential Future Cards
Message 7 of 9
righthererightnow
Regular Contributor

Re: HP Removal Question

HP's are very hard to remove. I recently tried and got the runaround ('you'll have to contact the reporting agency' 'you'll have to contact the credit card' rince and repeat). Horrible. If they put it on, they should be able to take it off. There should be a system to help with this.




Message 8 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: HP Removal Question


@righthererightnow wrote:

HP's are very hard to remove. I recently tried and got the runaround ('you'll have to contact the reporting agency' 'you'll have to contact the credit card' rince and repeat). Horrible. If they put it on, they should be able to take it off. There should be a system to help with this.


Occasionally a creditor does not know the correct and complete sequence of steps to take to withdraw a hard pull but if there is a legitimate reason for the withdrawal HPs are not difficult to remove.  Been there done that more than once.

 

 

 

 



(10/2021)
FICO 8 (EX) 804 (TU) 830 (EQ) 827
FICO 9 (EX) 827 (TU) 826 (EQ) 838

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.