Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard pull data vs. soft pull data

tag
Tdatb64
New Contributor

Hard pull data vs. soft pull data

I'm just wondering exactly what data does a hard pull provide a potential lender that a soft pull doesn't? There must be a difference, right?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Hard pull data vs. soft pull data

No difference, a hard pull just creates a record on your profile of you requesting credit. 

Message 2 of 5
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

More specifically, a hard pull creates a record that is visible to any party that has permissible purpose to pull your credit report.   A soft pull will only be known to you, the credit reporting agency, and whomever it was that requested the soft pull. They are not viewable by other parties even if they have permissible purpose to pull your credit report.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Tdatb64 wrote:

I'm just wondering exactly what data does a hard pull provide a potential lender that a soft pull doesn't? There must be a difference, right?

I believe there is a difference.  But I don't know what the differences are.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 4 of 5
PNWRambler
Frequent Contributor

As far as I can tell, there's no difference as to what information is shown in a soft pull vs hard pull. The differences are all about the circumstance. A soft pull is when credit card companies or lenders check your credit on their own to determine if you qualify, or when you check your own credit. A hard pull is only allowed when you give consent. And it generally indicates a new line of debt or credit opened (which is why it needs to be on your credit report for other lenders to see), whereas a soft pull could just be you keeping tabs on your score, or a lender trying to pre-approve you so that you'll apply for their product.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.