cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I decide which card to apply for?

tag
renov8r
Established Member

How do I decide which card to apply for?

Is there anyway to find out which credit reporting agency a given credit card issuer uses?  Is there a list or database somewhere?  In May my scores were:

Experian VantageScore 681

Equifax Fico score 717

Transunion 696

Assuming they are still close to these numbers, wouldn't I want to be applying to a bank that uses Equifax as opposed to Experian?  I applied last month to Amex and HSBC(who used experian) and was shot down.  I don't want to make the next attempt randomly...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I decide which card to apply for?

Which Amex did you apply for and have you had any baddies with them on past accounts?   Many people here with much lower scores than yours have gotten Amex SkyMiles and Hilton Honors cards from them.   
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's good news and bad news.

The good news is that yes, there is such a database. The bad news is that the last time I posted the link it was removed.

Just Google "credit pulls database." Smiley Happy

First thing to do is pull your actual FICO's and not rely on FAKO's. As for getting shot down for Amex, apply for the branded versions which tend to be much easier to qualify for, as many of us can attest to, such as Delta Skymiles, Starwood, or Hilton. With a EX score in the 620's + you can get one of these, as long as your file isn't really dirty.

Message Edited by devhip on 06-20-2007 09:03 AM
Message 3 of 8
renov8r
Established Member

I applied for Amex Blue.  They too used my experian score. 
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 8
renov8r
Established Member

Thanks - I checked this out.  It appears that Orchard granted credit to many people with ficos way lower than mine and bk's etc.  I have no derogs at all and decent ficos.  What is going on?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try recon. Maybe they will tell you.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe Blue has higher standards than some of their other cards.  Perhaps try the Skymiles or the HiltonHonors that has been discussed here.  Many people with lower scores than yours were approved.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.