Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast are Credit Disputes??

tag
firemartinez1980
Regular Contributor

How fast are Credit Disputes??

On average, how fast are disputes done on items and how quickly do they update?

I have seen past post's say within hours of a dispute their credit was updated and then ones I have done in the past have taken 30 days!

Any advice?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: How fast are Credit Disputes??

If you find inaccurate or unverified information on one of your credit reports, you can dispute that information. (If innacurate) And, under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), bureaus generally have 30 days to investigate the dispute and remove any items proven to be inaccurate. I had a few old, incorrect addresses on my reports and a wrong middle initial. CRA info dispute. That took 2 days. So it depends on what type of dispute, and how long it takes for the responce from the creditor back to the CRA.

Message 2 of 5
firemartinez1980
Regular Contributor

Thanks...

Is there a "Fastest Company" to use? What I mean by that is on every AnnualCreditReport or Credit Karma or any of the other websites you can get your credit report, you can also "Dispute" items....Are any of them faster than the other or is it basically the same?

Message 3 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

They just link to the dispute pages. Mostly CK says call this number.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It depends upon several factors, including the subject matter under dispute and the handling by the furnisher (reporting creditor or debt collector)

If the disputed information was reported to the CRA by a furnisher (creditor or debt collector), the process requires the CRA to refer a copy of the dispute to the furnisher for their investigation and reply back to the CRA.  The furnisher has until the expiration of the (normally) 30-day CRA reinvestigation period to send its response back to the CRA.

Thus, the period for conclusion of resinvestigation by the CRA can be very short, or can be up to the full 30 days, depending upon the promptness of furnisher reponse.

In some instances, the furnisher might, upon receipt of a copy of the dispute, choose to immediately delete the disputed reporting, thus obviating the dispute, and requiring no conclusion of reinvestigation by the CRA.  Thus, removal of the information could be within days of referral.

If the information under dispute was not provided by a furnisher, such as public record information or personal identifier infomation, there is no period for consideration by a furnisher, and thus the conclusion of the dispute is purely a function of CRA promptness.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.