cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many hard inquiries in the span of a year?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many hard inquiries in the span of a year?

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning three large purchases between now and next summer, but not necessarily co-signing all of them.

First, my wife will be leasing a car via BMW FS. Her FICO 8 is 703 so I might co-sign that if it's not sufficient. My score is currently 780 but is usually 800+. I do have a personal loan though. I already have a single hard pull on my CR from applying for the amazon credit card a few months ago.

Next spring we'll be applying for a mortgage together, and then next July my lease is up on my car so I'll be applying for either another lease or a car loan.

Worst case for me in this case is 4 hard pulls in the course of one year. Would it be wise to not co-sign the lease on my wife's car to save the pulls for the mortgage and auto loan next year?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How many hard inquiries in the span of a year?

Hi and welcome to myFICO

Let's break it down. Your plan is to apply for a mortgage in April 2020--in ~8 months. The concern really should be the DTI, not the 4 HPs. A carnote has a huge impact on DTI. 

Also, it's best to not apply for any new credit 12 mos prior to mortgage application.

Since both you and DW will be on the mortgage, please note it's her middle score that will be used--not yours. So under those circumstances, she shouldn't be applying for anything that would lower her scores. And you really should know what both of your mortgage scores are, not bank scores. Since her FICO 8 is at 703, her mortgage score is more than likely lower. You want the best mortgage rate possible. 

You didnt ask, but IMHO, I suggest between now and mortgage application, to work on whatever is suppressing her scores in order to  increase them to put you both in a better position creditwise. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 22
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

Hi and welcome to myFICO

Let's break it down. Your plan is to apply for a mortgage in April 2020--in ~8 months. The concern really should be the DTI, not the 4 HPs. A carnote has a huge impact on DTI. 

Also, it's best to not apply for any new credit 12 mos prior to mortgage application.

Since both you and DW will be on the mortgage, please note it's her middle score that will be used--not yours. So under those circumstances, she shouldn't be applying for anything that would lower her scores. And you really should know what both of your mortgage scores are, not bank scores. Since her FICO 8 is at 703, her mortgage score is more than likely lower. You want the best mortgage rate possible. 

You didnt ask, but IMHO, I suggest

between now and mortgage application, to work on whatever is suppressing her scores in order to  increase them to put you both in a better position creditwise. 

GL2U

OK, just curious about this...why would the lender use her report in favor of his? Is it just the lowest of the 2 joint owners middle score? I can't believe that her gender would be why, and still be legal. Is her middle mortgage scores for certain lower than his just because her fico 08 is? At one time, my mortgage score was a good bit lower than my fico 08 due to how that fico score treated the American Honda Financial as a finance company. Fico 08 seems to treat any revolving debt less harshly as well. You seem quite certain it is her middle score that will be used, but why? This might explain a lot about the first mortgage I and my ex-wife got. My score was much higher than hers, but my DTI was too high to get it alone.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 3 of 22
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure if a middle mortgage score of a co-applicant is a deal breaker or not but I think anybody who is preparing to buy should have their vehicles paid off just to free up more DTI space.

I know most people don't feel they have time to wait for that or for their credit scores to move up but it might be worthwhile taking an extra 6 months or a year to have all of that together.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 4 of 22
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@sarge12 wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

Hi and welcome to myFICO

You didnt ask, but IMHO, I suggest

between now and mortgage application, to work on whatever is suppressing her scores in order to  increase them to put you both in a better position creditwise. 

GL2U

OK, just curious about this...why would the lender use her report in favor of his? Is it just the lowest of the 2 joint owners middle score? I can't believe that her gender would be why, and still be legal. Is her middle mortgage scores for certain lower than his just because her fico 08 is? At one time, my mortgage score was a good bit lower than my fico 08 due to how that fico score treated the American Honda Financial as a finance company. Fico 08 seems to treat any revolving debt less harshly as well. You seem quite certain it is her middle score that will be used, but why? This might explain a lot about the first mortgage I and my ex-wife got. My score was much higher than hers, but my DTI was too high to get it alone.

As far as I know they use the lowest middle score , so if the wife's is lower they will use that and vice versa.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 22
ccquest
Established Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

Quicken Loans says the same thing if that is a better source for you:

Minimum Credit Score Needed: You’ll need a minimum credit score of 580 to qualify for an FHA loan that requires a down payment of just 3.5%. There is no minimum FICO® Score, though, to qualify for an FHA loan that requires a down payment of 10% or more.

However, FHA loans are originated by private lenders, and these lenders will usually have their own minimum credit score requirements. For instance, the minimum FICO® Score for an FHA loan through Quicken Loans is 580.

For a standard FHA loan, a minimum of one credit score is required to qualify. If your lender obtains all three of your credit scores, it will use the middle score for consideration. If you apply for a mortgage with your spouse, lenders will use the lower of the two middle credit scores.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 6 of 22
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

CreditInspired made an assumption. More than likely a correct one.

The OP stated that their spouses score was 702, and his is around 780. Everything else being equal, you can pretty much assume that his mortgage scores are higher than hers.

Which is why CI said her middle score. Nothing sexist in that.

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies! Hers is a little suppressed right now for two reasons:

First is there was apparently a 90 day late 5 years ago on one of her med school loans she wasn't aware of. We looked at her payment history and it looks like she made a normal payment in the month that the credit report is saying she has a 90 day late so we're disputing that.

Second is probably just the fact that she has med school debt. About $350k I think.

Combined we make about 500k per year. She currently has no car payment but has a 12k personal loan, and zero revolving debt. I have a 30k personal loan, zero revolving debt, a car lease, and about 35k in student loans. Not sure if that helps fill out the DTI picture.

Overall, it looks like our total minimum obligations would work out to about $8k, which is well below 43% for DTI, right?

Message 8 of 22
ccquest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Second is probably just the fact that she has med school debt. About $350k I think.

Combined we make about 500k per year. She currently has no car payment but has a 12k personal loan, and zero revolving debt. I have a 30k personal loan, zero revolving debt, a car lease, and about 35k in student loans. Not sure if that helps fill out the DTI picture.

Doubt it's the student loans. I have 130k and my scores were in the 800s before my CC app spree and new student loan refi. Mostly due to the late payment I'm sure.

And of course you can both play the AZEO card when you get closer to your prequal/mortgage application so things are as high as possible then.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you're only 8 months out from a possible Mortgage, i think the wiser choice would to be to wait on the new car and put that payment towards her Loan. Plenty of time after the house purchase to buy cars, and it's better to get the best rate on the Mortgage versus the auto.

As for having that 90 day late removed that will held alot, so good luck on that!

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.