cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much of a point boost will an Amex Gold Card authorized user give?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much of a point boost will an Amex Gold Card authorized user give?

I'm at about a 617 fico, just got an amex gold authorized user today, how much of a boost will it give my credit score?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much of a point boost will an Amex Gold Card authorized user give?

Probably not as much as it would be if it was a revolver with a high CL and long age to it.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn’t aware there was any boost from a charge card?

Message 3 of 12
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Depends on what is strong and weak about your profile, eg does this card address a weakness or does it just add to existing strength. You could try the simulators. They aren't accurate, but at least they base their guesses on knowing your profile more than we do.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 4 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm at about a 617 fico, just got an amex gold authorized user today, how much of a boost will it give my credit score?

Hi and welcome 

That would depend on whether you have other revolving accounts, their age, average age and and installment accounts, if any.

There is not enough information in your post to guess.

Feel free to add additional DPs about your profile if you want to get better educated guesses 

Message 5 of 12
CramEiko
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wasn’t aware there was any boost from a charge card?

The only boost I've ever seen from my Gold Card is on CK after a balance has posted. Other than that. It's like a ghost card in CK's eyes as far as scoring goes. Then again if the wind blows so goes my scores +/- with CK. HAHA

Good Luck! 

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only have two active credit cards and one auto loan, I'm sure it must have some impact on my credit

Message 7 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately an AMEX AU reports as a new account, you don’t inherit any history.

Basically it isn’t one that you add for scoring purposes because except for thin files it is a straight negative (new account), you only add an Amex AU for use.

        
Message 8 of 12
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Amex used to count the actual date the account was opened for AUs, so that could give a boost to AAoA, but they stopped doing that years ago so it will now shows up as a new account. I'm not sure when they changed, but I added my daughter as an AU to my Gold about 10 years ago and it shows as a 25 year old account for her.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 9 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:
Unfortunately an AMEX AU reports as a new account, you don’t inherit any history.

Basically it isn’t one that you add for scoring purposes because except for thin files it is a straight negative (new account), you only add an Amex AU for use.

Pretty much this ^^^^

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.