Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to best handle incorrect or outdated information on credit reports

tag
Blazon
Valued Member

How to best handle incorrect or outdated information on credit reports

I am seeking input from the Forum on how to handle aged closed accounts.  My recent Equifax report shows 10 closed accounts that have a last update greater than 7 years.  All of these trade lines show Pays as Agreed (no activity payment activity listed).  In addition, I see in the open accounts section an installment loan last activity 2014 with no balance listed, but it was paid off.  I was under the impression that these items automatically come off your report after 7 years.  

Should I either write Equifax or Call them to get this items removed or should I let them stay on my report?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: How to best handle incorrect or outdated information on credit reports

Items listed on your credit report in good standing fall off after ten(10) years.

If the information is correct, and not reporting negatively... leave it alone. Those accounts (even though closed) are helping your score with Age of account (increasing your Average Age of Accounts).
Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 4
calyx
Super Contributor

If they are positive accounts (and it sounds like they are), you want them to stay on your report as long as possible because they contribute to the age and "thickness" of your file (which is good!).   

Generally, positive accounts stay on reports for ~10 years after the account closed date.    They can fall off sooner or later, though (10y is not written in stone)

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 4
Blazon
Valued Member

I appreciate the insightful comments.  Based on these advise, I will continue to enjoy my time in the Garden.  Thank you.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.