Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell if SP or HP?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to tell if SP or HP?

I'm sure this has been posted and answered before, but I'm slightly confused.

How can you tell if there is a SP (as part of existing account review) or HP?  I have my reports from myFICO and CCT.  All of them show 4-5 inquires in the past 12 months, but in the detail section there are many more.  I can figure out the HP by new accounts, but can't seem to reconcile the others.

Credit Karma shows something like 13-14 (I did purchase a car in March and had mulitple inquires, but I know that only counts as one towards FICO)

Just a little confused on all of this.

Any insight?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: How to tell if SP or HP?

You won't see SP's from any of those sources.  They're all HP's.  Generally you have to pull reports directly from each CRA to view SP's.  However, IIRC, some of Equifax's monitoring products allow you to see SP's.

Request for CLI's can he HP's in some cases.  There are also certainly other sources of HP's that are not for new credit or reviews for existing credit accounts (e.g. rent, insurance, identity verification for things like CU membership, etc).

How often have to been reviewing your reports given your comment about the pulls older than 12 months?  Make sure you're regularly reviewing them.  At the very least make use of the Annual Credit Report site.  Also be sure to consider pulls per CRA and the ages of your pulls versus just total number of pulls.

@Anonymous wrote:

I did purchase a car in March and had mulitple inquires, but I know that only counts as one towards FICO

If properly coded and within a given timeframe.

Message 2 of 5
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

You won't see SP's from any of those sources.  They're all HP's.  Generally you have to pull reports directly from each CRA to view SP's.  However, IIRC, some of Equifax's monitoring products allow you to see SP's.

Request for CLI's can he HP's in some cases.  There are also certainly other sources of HP's that are not for new credit or reviews for existing credit accounts (e.g. rent, insurance, identity verification for things like CU membership, etc).

How often have to been reviewing your reports given your comment about the pulls older than 12 months?  Make sure you're regularly reviewing them.  At the very least make use of the Annual Credit Report site.  Also be sure to consider pulls per CRA and the ages of your pulls versus just total number of pulls.

@Anonymous wrote:

I did purchase a car in March and had mulitple inquires, but I know that only counts as one towards FICO

If properly coded and within a given timeframe.

Agreed.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 3 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Agree also. There is a chance depending on the coding that those did not report as one.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The definition of a soft inquiry is one that is viewable only in credit reports seen by the consumer.

Most commercisl credit reports dont differentiate in the ultimate end use, and thus will not show soft pulls.

The definition of the annualcreditreport.com site is that it is restriction only to consumer pulls of their own credit reports.

Thus, they can freely show all soft pulls without concern.

If you have a freeby remaining at that site, then do a pull and compare the inquiries.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.