Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upload documents to Equifax dispute

tag
goldengopher1991
Contributor

How to upload documents to Equifax dispute

Im trying to dispute info in my Equifax, but I can't find the button where it allows me to upload supporting documents. I got an email asking me to fax or mail my supporting documents in. Can I simply create a new dispute? I dont want to go through that hassle.. uploading seems easier.

Discover IT - $10,000 | Chase Freedom - $2,200 | United MileagePlus Explorer - $5,000 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select - $4,000
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Re: How to upload documents to Equifax dispute

At this time you can only fax or mail in documents for the disputes

Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would simply send them a paper dispute, thus making all "which button to push" issues moot

Alternately, why not simply send a direct dispute to the furnisher of the information, thus avoiding all CRA admin restrictions, and ensuring that the furnisher directly receives everything, including your arguements related to the documentation, without any possble CRA sanitation?

As an aside, getting all documentation to a CRA is not, in my opinion, the most significant issue.

They can have tons of documentation, but in the past, their standard procedure has been not to forward that documentation to the furnisher, but rather to reduce your dispute to a form that is sent to the furnisher via their e-Oscar process.

The CFPB has recently taken on the CRAs for their practice of not sending all documentation to the furnisher,and has advised them that they are expected to do so.

See the news article I posted a few months back in the "Credit in the News" forum for details.

That articvle indicates some negotiations with the CRAs about updating their e-Oscar process, but details are sparse.  That may be part of why current upload of documentation could be  a problem, as they are apparently undergoing revisions of their process.

Message 3 of 8
goldengopher1991
Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

I would simply send them a paper dispute, thus making all "which button to push" issues moot

Alternately, why not simply send a direct dispute to the furnisher of the information, thus avoiding all CRA admin restrictions, and ensuring that the furnisher directly receives everything, including your arguements related to the documentation, without any possble CRA sanitation?

As an aside, getting all documentation to a CRA is not, in my opinion, the most significant issue.

They can have tons of documentation, but in the past, their standard procedure has been not to forward that documentation to the furnisher, but rather to reduce your dispute to a form that is sent to the furnisher via their e-Oscar process.

The CFPB has recently taken on the CRAs for their practice of not sending all documentation to the furnisher,and has advised them that they are expected to do so.

See the news article I posted a few months back in the "Credit in the News" forum for details.

That articvle indicates some negotiations with the CRAs about updating their e-Oscar process, but details are sparse.  That may be part of why current upload of documentation could be  a problem, as they are apparently undergoing revisions of their process.

Well, I ended up just faxing my documents yesterday and got the results today. I disputed a whole bunch of HPs that werent authorized and they all came back and said they cant remove any of them. When I called in and asked why, they told me they don't dispute HPs and account information. They can only dispute if lets say, your name and addresses are wrong. What kind of a joke is this, telling me that they cant dispute HPs? If that's the case why is there even an option to dispute it online? I'm confused. 

Discover IT - $10,000 | Chase Freedom - $2,200 | United MileagePlus Explorer - $5,000 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select - $4,000
Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What they are really saying is that their standard practice is to accept a statment of permissible purpose submited to them as accurate.

FCRA 611 permits a consumer to dispute the accuracy or completeness of any information in their credit file, so any blanket statement that you cannot dispute an item is clearly contrary to statute.

Any party who makes a request for a consumer credit report must provide a statement of their permissible purpose, which must be a purpose provided for under FCRA 604. 

If the CRA has no basis to contest the accuracy of a stated permissible purpose, they simply provide the CR.

Thus, any dispute that challenges an inquiry must provide some documentation showing that they did not, in fact, qualify for their stated permissible purpose.

Therein lies the rub, as consumers dont have a copy of the statement of permissible purpose provided to the CRA, and thus have no basis to challenge its accuracy.

So, standard CRA response is that you dont have a supporable dispute for an inquiry.

If you were to obtain a copy of the inquiree's statement of ther permissible purpose and can document that it is inaccurate, you would definately have basis for a dispute.

If you did so and they still refused to accept the dispute, then a formal complaint to the CFPB would clearly be in order.

The only way I know of to get a copy of a stated permissible purpose submitted by an inquiree would be to send a request under FCRA 609(a)(1), which entitles a consumer to any information in their file at the time of the request.  Section 609(a)(1) requests must be accompanied by proof of identity, and the current processing fee, which is $11.00.  You could pursue that route, then provide your documentation to show that their statement is inaccurate, and if they still fail to investigate, file a formal complaint with the CFPB. 

By the time you do all that, one year will most likely have expired, and the inquiry would already have been removed from FICO scoring.

Worth the hassle over an inquriy???

Message 5 of 8
Sonic98
New Contributor

It's supposed to automatically give you the option. My bank wasn't able to pull my credit score because Equifax still has an address I had years ago as my cuurrent address. When I did the dispute it gave me the option to upload. The crazy thing is I did the dispute 3 times. Heck the last time I uploaded and faxed. I ended up having to call them to get them to verify the documents I uploaded and faxed. Dealing with them is always an ordeal.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where did the unauthorized hard pulls come from?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.