Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Husband (Executor) Received Collection Notice For Deceased Friend

tag
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

Husband (Executor) Received Collection Notice For Deceased Friend

In the mail today, my husband received a collection notice from IC Systems in his deceased friend's name for a Spectrum bill. (His mail comes to our house so we can deal with all of the things his estate needs to deal with.) He passed away in December of 2019, and my husband specifically called Spectrum and cancelled it in January or February of 2020. (He has the paperwork.) 

We have a 30 day notice to object, but I am wondering if he should even bother with it. Can they put a ding against a deceased man's credit? (This was a man with a relatively large amount of money...16 classic cars, a gorgeous home and absolutely no debt. Spectrum has never tried to contact him about this matter btw.) 
My husband called them as soon as he received the letter but they refused to talk to him even though he is the executor. So, if you were in my husband's shoes, what would your next step be? 

In the garden until May 2022!!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Husband (Executor) Received Collection Notice For Deceased Friend

Technically they can normally go after the estate for repayment. 

From memory the correct steps would be for your husband to provide Spectrum with copies of his friend's death certificate and the document naming him as executor, and they should escalate to the correct internal team to arrange for your husband as executor to settle the debt.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 5
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

I doubt Spectrum will talk to them since a collection agency has it. I'm sure that he already showed proof of his executorship to Spectrum over a year ago when he closed the account out. There are (or should be) no payments owed. 

In the garden until May 2022!!
Message 3 of 5
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

If the bill covers charges for "alleged" services provided after the "documented" notice of cancellation . . . then I would provide (via certified mail) proof or your husband as executor and object to the bill. Typically those type services are billed in advance so double check the service period the bill is covering. If they become unreasonable, you can always contact the Federal Communications Commission . . . they are always ready to assist!!!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 4 of 5
203bravo
Established Contributor

It should be very easy to deal with this... give this notice to the probate lawyer... if the estate has not cleared probate then the claim can be added and dealt with during that process --- if the estate has already through probate the lawyer can then send official notice that this estate is closed and they are now barred against any claim.  @mmmagique your husband, even as executor, should have to deal with this personally... this is what the lawyer is paid for (if was a large estate was probably paid very well Smiley LOL)

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.