cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Have A Delete Letter - What Would You Do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I Have A Delete Letter - What Would You Do?

I have a delete letter from a collection agency. I gave it my mortgage person on Monday who gave it to his person to do the Rapid Rescore. So far it doesn't look like the collection has been deleted from our account. They said it should be done by tomorrow (but I understand it could take longer). In addition, the collection agency told me that they report to the agencies on the 20th (tomorrow) and they will report it as deleted. If they report it tomorrow, how long will it take for it to show up on the actual report/score? Also, would you just contact the credit agencies yourself to try to get them removed? I don't want to open up a dispute because I hear that can delay things even more. I'm not sure what my next step with this letter should be. I also don't want to interfere with what the rapid rescore folks are trying to do.

(Sorry for ALL the questions. We are trying to buy a house now so I am researching this 24-7.)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I Have A Delete Letter - What Would You Do?

I think you just need to wait.

I'd sign up for the random sites like Credit Karma and see when the deletion hit your reports (if it's even on TU in CK's case), spread out CreditSesame and Quizzle or others on EX as they don't allow daily pulling.

Worst case just go buy the reports directly from the bureaus, it will be cheaper than a rapid rescore and less impactful to your credit report.

In any event give the CA a chance to delete it before poking the bear any further when it comes to disputes or otherwise; a dispute can be a big problem as you're likely well aware, and not the route you want to go down right now if it can be handled easier.  Adding some types of information to a report is nearly instant (inquiries); however, updating or deleting information might take a bit of time... I do not know how the bureaus do it but I suspect they have a batch process of some sort which processes updates into their records.

You've done the hard part already, namely getting that PFD in place; now give it a chance to work by just hanging out for a bit.  Once it's whacked on your reports, go get your rapid rescore ninja-quick-like Smiley Happy.

        
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In my opinion, their delay or even failure to delete is not a disputable item.

Their is nothing inaccurate in their current reporting to form the basis for a dispute.

Agreements to delete are personal agreements between the parties, and are not the purview for CRA intervention.

Additionally, to dispute would require, as basis, documentation of their agreement to delete based on payment of the debt.

Such deletions are directly contrary to CRA policy, and thus a request for their enforcement is tantamount to a request that they act directly contrary to their own policy.

It's an oral contract issue between private parties, which are the enforcement perview of the courts.

I would call and ask that they follow thru on their promise. If and when they report, they need provide no reason to the CRA, and thus no issue of deletion contrary to CRA policy arises.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your responses. I think I am going to do what you suggested and just wait it out for a few days.

RobertEG, I'm not sure I understand what exactly you are saying or maybe you misunderstood me. I DON'T want to dispute them. I was just wondering what people do when they have copies of delete letters. Do they just hold on to them or do they call the agencies themselves to have the updates done? I actually didn't even ASK for the deletion--they offered it to me. And it was after I paid--I didn't even know you could ask for deletions (this was before I knew how badly a collection could affect you credit). Afterwards, the collection agency ended up refunding me because it turns out I had in fact paid the bill it was just never reported to the agency. Anyway, it's a long story. I don't want to dispute it, I just was wondering if I have to call and request the deletion myself, but it sounds like I shouldn't.

Thanks again for your detailed and thoughtful response. I appreciate it!

Message 4 of 6
Kidcat
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

In my opinion, their delay or even failure to delete is not a disputable item.

Their is nothing inaccurate in their current reporting to form the basis for a dispute.

Agreements to delete are personal agreements between the parties, and are not the purview for CRA intervention.

Additionally, to dispute would require, as basis, documentation of their agreement to delete based on payment of the debt.

Such deletions are directly contrary to CRA policy, and thus a request for their enforcement is tantamount to a request that they act directly contrary to their own policy.

It's an oral contract issue between private parties, which are the enforcement perview of the courts.

I would call and ask that they follow thru on their promise. If and when they report, they need provide no reason to the CRA, and thus no issue of deletion contrary to CRA policy arises.

What if the deletion letter acknowledges that the entry was erroneously put on the report in the first place?  Can CRA's delete in that instance?

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

All furnishers have a statutory obligation under FCRA 623(a)(2) when reported information has been determined to be inaccurate to "promptly notify the consumer reporting agency of that determination, and to provide to the agency any correction to that information, or any additional information, that is necessary to make the information provided by the person to the agency complete and accurate..."

That places the entire burden on the furnisher to report any changes/corrections direclty to the CRA.  Statements of accuracy or inaccuracy in informal correspondence does not discharge that obligation.  Consumers and CRAs, under the FCRA process, are not expected to have to dispute if the information is acknlwledged to be inaccurate.

That is a waste of time and effort by all.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.